EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
I'm planning on buying a used 1994 Ford E350 15' box van. I want it to take me and my kids to the races on the weekends AND to be able to pull our travel trailer.

From what I was told, it was a previous Ryder rental truck. It currently has 191,000 miles on it. It has a 7.2L V8 gasoline engine in it. The truck is remarkably clean. Of course when I get it, I'd flush the engine, trans and cooling system and install new fluids.

What I would like to get your opinions on:

1) The VIN on the dash and the VIN on the door are different. (Tells me that at least the door was replaced).

2) Since the VIN on the door is different, I wonder if the information that the sticker on the door displays is truly what is in the truck (axle, trans, etc).

3) Durabiliaty and reliability: How durable and reliable is the drivetrain in this truck?

4) The truck has been inspected and has new things such as tires, brakes and rotors. I've seen the receipts and they look new on the truck. Anything else to look out for?

5) Does anyone know where I can go to find out the towing capacity of the truck? My trailer is 5,000lbs but I'd like a bigger one in the future and I want to know that the truck can pull it.

6) The rear hitch says that it can tow 6,000lbs. But what I'm thinking is that that is a limitation of the rather cheesy looking tow bar welded onto the truck. If I install some sort of frame mounted hitch, would my towing capacity be higher?

7) Does anyone have any ideas, pictures or know where to point me to see how they set up thier box vans? Right now, it's completely empty. I've looked at some vans at the local tracks, got a few ideas, but I really have no idea what to do with the setup.

8) I've heard of places that can help you decode the VIN number. Anybody know where I can go to do this? I've done searches and found *some* useful information.

Thanks for any information,
Ed Lennon

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Keep in mind that the towing capacity is also based on the frame structure, drivetrain, and brakes. A 15' cube van already has a lot of weight on it, which is why it might have a lower towing capacity.. It may be dangerous to tow a bigger trailer, if you can't get it stopped properly.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
I have a '91 E350 box van that I put a full bathroom in. It is ideal for motorcycle use-no fancy carpet, no windows, and can haul two bikes.
Answers to questions:

1)VIN should be the same- Truck may have been wrecked.

2)The vin info will be different. You can order the right VIN plate from Ford.

3)Very reliable- mine has 190,000+ miles on the original motor. Motor is actually a 7.5L or 460cid.

4) Ryder does a really good job on maintaining their fleet. They actually do Ford Warranty work.

5)You can pull 5,000lbs. But with the box van loaded and the trailer loaded you may have a hard time on hils and stopping. Be sure you have trailer brakes.

6) Have a quality class IV hitch put on.

7) I' send you pics. I don't have a digital camera.
To put a full bathroom cost me about $1,100 just in parts.

8) I think "Carfax" is one place you can get the history on the van.

If you need help with your project, let me know.
Good luck.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have seen and been in the GasGasVan and it is one seriously sweet setup! It's even got this really cool pull out BBQ stand & table assembly ;)

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Thanks for your replies!

gasgasman: do you need a special license, tags or insurance to drive one of these box vans? I don't know much about them.

Also, you were right. It is a 7.5l not a 7.2l. I mis-typed that one.

I found 1 website that helped me decode the VIN. It was at www.fleet.ford.com. It provided me with more information that I had.

You mention that I can get some VIN information from Ford. Can you tell me where and how to do that? Do I contact my local dealer or something?

Thanks again for all the help.
Ed

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Ed.
You don't need a special licence.
When you insure it, tell them it is for week-end use only. That will save you some money.

Take the VIN to the Ford dealer and they can order the right decal for you. Or I can order one for you.

Patman........Get ready for Supercross Pit party II.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by gasgasman
Patman........Get ready for Supercross Pit party II.
I am soooo ready buddy! This year i need to bring something to the party (besides myself & crew). Just tell me what. :)

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
I don't have a digital camera, but a friend of mine does. I'll have him take some pics this weekend.

It is really easy to do.

The hardest part was the black water tank. The toilet has to dump straight into the holding tank. So I had to cut through 2" of wood (flooring) and a fiber glass panel.

Major components needed.

Fresh water tank- 40gal- enough for two people for 3 days.
Black water tank (sewage) 30gal
Gray water (shower and sink)35gal
Water pump.
Bath tub- went w/ the tub design to avoid splashing.
Hot water heater-gas only.
Propane tank. Mount to truck frame.
Sink. Used the RV style and got cabinet from Home Depot.
Toilet.
Plumbing- be sure to use the grey RV type tubing. I went w/ the 3/8 white tubing from the hardware store- not durable enough.
3way fridge.
Corwell battery charger- very quiet and charges the coach batt while the generator is running.
Air vent w/ fan.
All the bath room stuff runs on 12V. This is so you don't have to fire up the generator every time to use the head.

Find an RV discount supplier and you will save a lot of $$.

E-mail me if you have any questions.
thegasgasman@aol.com

Top Bottom