DMATT125

Feb 25, 2001
hey everybody, im in the market for my first 4x4 pick up. model years 98-99. and was wondering what experiences any of you have had with these two particular models. things to look out for,advantages and durability.i hope this doesnt turn into a chevy vs ford battle.:p thanx in advance DAN

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I own a 98 1/2 ton chev 4x4. This was the last year before many changes were made to the chevs. The new body style and engines came out in 99. I prefer the 98 because it has the 350 ci engine, the 350 has been around in various forms since at least the 60s and is a time proven engine. Mine gets 16 mpg during normal driving and 19+ on long highway cruises. The truck is very quiet and stable on the road and pulls without a problem.

All of the big three put out very good 1/2 ton trucks since about 97 per the consumer reports data. However, none get as good of mileage as the chev and the chev has the highest power ratings I believe. 265 hp in 98.

Mine has the leather split bench and the extended cab and is my daily driver.

I think the LD fords of this vintage are kinda ugly. Now the HD line with a diesel, that's a different story.

1 vote for chev.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Im going thru the same delima right now myself, I have a 97 Chevy Tahoe and have had a 92 Chevy Z71 4x4, havent had any real porblems with either other than the normal repairs. Chevy has had some problems with there fuel injection system in the 96 on up years, on the Tahoe I have had no troubles yet. (chevy has given me a 10 year war. on the injectors) I have some freinds with the Fords and they have had no problems. My Tahoe only gets and 12 mpg in the city and up to 16-17 on the hwy. Its a real toss up, the loaded Z71's are a real nice riding truck, if you buy used try to find a Z71. The one thing that I like about the Ford is that it rides a bit higher fthe the GM.:confused:

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Getting down to brass tacks. Both trucks are good. You just have to sit in them, try different controls and see which one you like better.

Go drive both trucks and make mental notes on stuff like, ride quality, trans shifting, a/c operation, wind noise, road noise,and ease of entry and exit.

You already know which truck you want. Good luck.:D

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
I drive a 98 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4, extended cab 5.4L. Great truck. However with the way Ford supports the Eco-Nazi movement, I will not be buying any new Fords in the near future until Ford Motor Corporation stops supporting the ultra leftist environmental movement.

Dave Wood

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I know it's not one of your choices but it happens fairly frequently that I wish that I had gotten a 3/4 or 1 ton instead of my 1/2 ton chev. The 1/2 ton is great for a daily driver and medium towing. However, the payload of the truck is limited to 700 lbs (6200 lbs gvwr - 5500 truck weight). You have a nice big bed that you really can't use much. 700 lbs is 90 gallons of water or 11 of the little bags of dry concrete(3 fat chicks;) ). A truck should be more capable. The other thing about the 3/4 ton vs. the half is that the 3/4 ton has significantly beefed drivetrain components. The tranny, axles, suspension, and brakes are much more stout. The 3/4 ton looks the same, rides the same, and should cost nearly the same.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
What 3/4 ton have you rode in that rides like a 1/2 ton? Around here you can buy the 3/4 for as much or cheaper than the 1/2. The 1/2 rides more like a car when empty or lite loads. The 3/4 rides like a truck when empty.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
chev 2500s as compared to the z71s ride nearly the same. Most all newer chevs ride like cars with their IFS. The difference between the old trucks and the new (even dodge and ford) is that the rear leafs have an overload section from the factory that only does work when the suspension is compressed past a point. You wouldn't know until you looked at the emblem. Just try it. I wish my truck would have been a 3/4 ton but at least in washington, the 3/4 tons are higher priced.

DMATT125

Feb 25, 2001
hey everyone thanx alot for the responses. i really do appreciate it. well today i went and picked up a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 slt laramie. i know it was not what i was lookin for but got a great deal on a beautiful truck.$20,000 26,000mi loaded 5.9l bright red. i guess you just never know sometimes but im very happy with my decision. im like a little kid right now. once again thanx for youir responses. danny:cool:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Do you REALLY need a 4x4? I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, HD suspension 2-wheel dirve I haul bikes in. 4.8L V8 engine 5-speed and I get 19mpg city and 21 hwy. Once yo goto 4x4 or the 3/4 ton suspension gas mileage goes down. The new 4.8 is a destroked 5.3L which is same stroke but smaller bore from the LS1 5.7L (98 and up 350) Camaro/Firbird/Vette engine. The trucks engines are the same casting as the LS1 except in iron instead of aluminium. The new engines do have the same aluminium heads and EFI system as the LS1.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom