Ford recalls 2003 F150, F250 trucks

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Just learned that Ford is issueing a recall on most early 2003 pick ups and SUVs for defect in the cruise control which could lead to a fire.

Ford Truck and SUV recall
Associated Press
Monday, March 5, 2007

Ford Motor Co. recalled about 155,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles on Monday to repair a cruise control switch system that already had led to millions of recalls.
Ford said the latest recall involved 2003 versions of the F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty truck, the Ford Excursion SUV and the Lincoln Blackwood pickup.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker previously had recalled 5.8 million vehicles in the past two years because of engine fires linked to the cruise control systems in trucks, SUVs and vans. That recall, one of the largest in history, covered vehicles from the 1994-2002 model years.

Ford officials said Monday an internal check found the switch systems in some early 2003 trucks and SUVs and the company acted to allow owners to get it repaired. The switch system could corrode over time, overheat and ignite.

"We wanted to make sure that customers could go to the dealerships and deal with that as soon as we knew it," Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said. He said there had been no reports of

fires in the 2003 vehicles.

The F-150 pickup has been the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. for 30 years and is considered crucial to Ford's attempts to return to profitability. The F-Series has faced soft sales in recent

months because of a slowdown in housing construction; sales for the pickup were down nearly 12 percent in 2006 to nearly 800,000 vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration completed an extensive investigation last year into the cause of the fires. Through August of last year, the most recent data available, the

agency had received 1,472 complaints connected to the problems, including 65 reports of fires.

The safety agency has said there have been no confirmed deaths or injuries, but lawsuits were filed in Iowa, Georgia and Arkansas over deaths allegedly tied to the fires. The automaker reached a settlement in the Iowa case in October.

Ford said last year its review found that brake fluid could leak through the cruise control's deactivation switch into the system's electrical components, leading to corrosion. That could produce a buildup of electrical current that could cause overheating and a fire.

To fix the problem, dealers install a fused wiring harness to the cruise control deactivation switch to prevent the risk of fire if the switch leaked. Ford officials said about 45 percent of the

vehicles under the previous recalls have been repaired.

Owners of the newly recalled vehicles will receive notices in the mail next week and dealers will make the repairs at no cost to the owner. Customers can contact Ford at 1-800-392-3673.

This story can be found at: http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS%2FMGArticle%2FSLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193542495&path=!features!notonthemenu

Go Back

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
this was a big recall with the ford explorers some time ago. ford just keeps digging themselves into deeper holes... i just passed on the f250 and purchased a chevy 2500hd because of concern over the quality of the ford diesel engine. very pleased thus far with the chevy. the chevy drives like a sports car in comparison the the ford and the interior is like a luxury car versus the basic ford interior.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
This fire-under-the-hood thing has struck hard around these parts. A local volunteer fire department ended up losing an ambulance due to this recall (unless you ask Ford). The fire started under the hood of the ambulance, and luckily the fire station was airtight enough that it just smoldered and finally choked itself out. Thank God nobody opened the door to the fire station while it was burning or they would have gotten such a backdraft the building probably would have exploded.

After two months they're just finally getting things cleaned up.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
my 97 got recalled for that quite some time ago. it takes about thirty seconds to fix it.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
mx547 said:
my 97 got recalled for that quite some time ago. it takes about thirty seconds to fix it.

My 95 did too.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
tnrider said:
this was a big recall with the ford explorers some time ago.

I JUST had this on my '98, just like MX547 said took 30 sec. to fix....

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i never was a ford fan, until i got one. i always had chevys, toyotas, and nissans. i got my ford in '98, now it has 207k+ miles and is still going strong. i couldn't say that for any of my previous trucks.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I had to change this switch myself on my '02 F250. Mine didn't qualify for the recall. $18 and about 5 minutes later, I have cruise control again.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Ditto with my 96 F250 (first on race day kawicam250). Takes about 5 minutes to install. The the pretty blonde service girl says "your truck is ready Mr. Anderson but our mechanics have advised you have your transmission oil replaced, engine oil and filter changed( this will only cost about 400 dollars). My reply was "the oil was changed last week and the transmission fluid was done a few months ago. Her reply was "oh". Freakin dealerships.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
kawicam250 said:
another reason why Fords are "Found On Roads Dead" :)
:think: Yeah everybody throws stones at Fords but they seem to be the top seller year after year. I am not brand loyal on any vehicle so it is kind of strange I am on my second F250 super duty in 5 years. I only got rid of the old one because I needed 4 wheel drive at many of the tracks we go to. I am perfectly content to drive a Ford.
I have ridden on trips twice now with Chili in his Chev diesel 2500 and really was impressed with that also. neither one so outshines the other so much that I would definately have to get that one.
A recall happens- I just happened to post this one because it caught my interest owning one of the efected trucks. Given the incentive I am sure there isn't any vehicle I can not find a recall for

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
oldguy said:
I have ridden on trips twice now with Chili in his Chev diesel 2500 and really was impressed with that also.

It's a 3500 and I'd love for it to have a recall to fix all the Check Engine Light issues I've had with it so far.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I had that recall done on my '99 F-150 2 years ago. My neibor is a Ford tech, so he did it right in my driveway. I think it took him 5 minutes to do the job.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
oldguy said:
:think: Yeah everybody throws stones at Fords but they seem to be the top seller year after year.
those numbers are a tad hinky . . . Ford sells a lot to "fleet". Just happens to be the Ford fleet ;)

It doesn't matter what rig you own: Ford will burn down in your garage or burn out the tranny; Dodge will rattle itself to pieces; Chevy's will always have that start-up knock and dang check-engine lights (chili, is your gas cap tight? ;))

We just gotta wait a couple more days to find out what goes gunnybag on the Nissan and Toyota full size rigs.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
XRpredator said:
Chevy's will always have that start-up knock and dang check-engine lights (chili, is your gas cap tight? ;))

Yup both of them, from what I understand that's not a part of the troubleshooting equation for the diesels.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I got gremlins in the 03 Expedition, yet I think we finally got it all fixed and figured out.
To add to Preds Fleet numbers, Ford advertises the "F" series as the top seller, which is the F150, F250, F350, F450, F550, F650 and so on, so add all those up and it kinda of skews the numbers :whoa: But I'm in sales and marketing, so aslong as the numbers can be justified it's fair game!

Top Bottom