Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
I need feedback on the reliability and cost of ownership for the Ford Superduty trucks. I’m considering replacing my ’02 Tundra with an ’03 F250 Crewcab SRW V10. I’m really having a difficult time while considering replacing my perfectly running, low mileage (24k in 24 months), extremely reliable Tundra with something else.

My problem is towing my 24’ WW Toy hauler. The UVW and loaded weights fit within my Tundra’s capability but tongue weight is a concern. I believe I’m at or over the tongue weight when loaded, and I haven’t even pulled it with the 60 gallons of fresh water.

I’m looking at the V10 with 3.73 rear end because they occasionally come on sale, $25k. That and much of the time the truck will be used for very short trips where a diesel wouldn’t even get up to operating temps. I’ll have my wife using it around town occasionally. The back seat is huge compared to the Tundra and with 14 year old, 16 month old and another possibly in a year or two the size will be especially nice on longer trips.

What kind of experiences are there with these SD trucks? I’d planned on keeping the Tundra for 15 years before I picked up the trailer this winter. Could I reasonably expect to keep the Ford nearly as long? Would it be worth the additional $5-6k in cost?

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Comparing a Tundra and SD is apples to oranges. A V10 is all American my friend.. you will not regret... you'll wonder if the trailer fell off... lol. F250 is the REAL DEAL.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Like Okie said, there's no comparison.

The Ford makes for a better tow vehicle.
Stiffer frame and huge disk brakes all around really helps.

phirechick

Sponsoring Member
Jul 3, 2001
Bought ours when they first came out  (crew cab, 4x4)with the new body style in 98, took six months to get but worth the wait.  We have pulled our 27' Toy Hauler thousands of miles and so far so good.  Of course we have the diesel and you hardly know it's there.  A good source of research is http://www.thedieselstop.com.  This used to be Ford-Diesel.com but Ford made them change the name.  Just remember to take what they have to say in stride.  Good choice, I wouldn't change.

Factory

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 19, 2002
Just bought a new F-250 SD Crew Cab 4x4 with the PowerStroke Diesel. I went back-n-forth a million times on the V-10 and Diesel and I have to admit, I couldn't be happier. It is a heckuva tow vehicle and a darn nice "get around town" vehicle as well. These 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups have come a long way. You won't be disappointed either way! Let us know what you decide.

Oct 22, 2000
I have the '99 SD F250 4x4 with the V10 and, even though I love it, I wish I had gone with the Power Stroke. With the price of fuel these days, I grimace and cuss out the oil companies each and every time I have to fill up the tank. I average 12.5 MPG with the V10 while my friend with the Power Stroke and a 60 HP Superchip is able to get 22 MPG. Just a little food for thought. The extra 5K for the Power Stroke may pay for its self pretty quickly.

RatTrap :thumb:

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Thanks for the great advice and info. I'm on the lookout for the best deal I can put together.

Still not sure whether it'll be a v10 or PSD... But dollar wise, I'm more likely to get the gas engine.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
My 00' F250 V-10 gets 10 to 12 mpg with 36" tires and 3.56 gears. Ive never had one problem with it. I decided to go with the gas motor because I dont use it for everyday driving. Ive had it for 3 years and only have 28,000 mi on it. But I tow big campers and lots up bikes up and down the grapevine and up to tahoe area with no problems. And the disc brakes are a dream come true. My brother had a toy and it would get pushed all over the road in the winds with his trailer.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
3.56 gears!?

36" tires?!

Really?! Especially in a dedicated tow vehicle I would opt for much lower gearing than that. Maybe you meant 4.56 gears.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Over the life of the vehicle, it is WAY cheaper to go with a diesel INCLUDING the extra $5000 up front. As I just posted in another thread, the diesel will outlast the gas engine three to four times over. There was an article about this a while back, don't remember where, but they did a side by side comparison costs of both engines, and the gas was way more expensive in the long run. Of course you need to run the diesels hard. They don't like to be babied around town, or taken on short trips. They are made to work, and the harder you work them, the better they are. If you are towing, there is no substitute for a diesel!

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
jjcobra99

I remember that article. I think it was in one of the RV magazines. I'll have to dig around for it.

The Power Stroke option is $5,000. The V10 is $1500. So the difference is not that great when you opt for the P/S.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Uh, Yea 4.56. Just a little brain fade. 3.56 is what I have left in my wallet after spending 95 bucks to fill the tank today.

phirechick

Sponsoring Member
Jul 3, 2001
The other reason to buy a Diesel is the resale.  Everyone loves the realiability of the diesel motors.  Just getting broke in at 100,000 is a good thing.  Mine actually still books out almost 5 years later ( May) nearly what I paid for it.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Thanks all for the good advice and encouragement. I wound up getting the V10 because of the type of driving and my short commute.

Got a brand new '02 F350, Crew Cab, Lariat, V10, SRW, 4.3 gears, for a price that I am thrilled with.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Originally posted by RMjeff
Congrats Joker....Cant wait to see it.

Thanks Jeff. Can't wait to get it out. It's definitely gonna be getting out riding and camping soon. We'll have to get an overniter going.

SLEEZ

Nov 14, 2000
It's a great truck, you won't be disappointed. Mines lifted with 35's and 4:30 gearing, pulls my toyhauler like a champ.

The new PSD is having a bunch of problems anyways. Check out http://ford-trucks.com/ and http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/? These sites have a ton of great info on the SD's.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
I've been following the issues with the new 6.0 PSD. They wouldn't have kept me from getting it though. For me it was the price difference. The best price on the 6.0 PSD was still $8k more than the truck I bought.

I still can't stop looking at the truck out my front window. Gotta sell the Tundra though, before I can really celebrate.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Diesal, there is no substitute.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The people I know with the V-10 are very happy with their choice. One has a Superchip and it has plenty of beans to haul around his 4x4 F250 and whatever else he want to carry. Unless you NEED a diesel, at $6,000+ price difference, Ford offers a fine substitute, IMO.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Dave. I think that there are a few things that make the V-10 a poor substitute for the pig motor. 1) Longevity.... 2) Fuel mileage...3) Resale value

#1 alone makes up for the 4K extra up front.

Top Bottom