Apr 26, 2007
I transport my CR 125 on a trailer, do I need to adjust them in some way before or after I secure them to the trailer. I thought there was some screw at the top of the inverted forks that need releasing?? Any suggestions would be great thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Best bet is to get something that you can use to keep the forks from compressing.

I have a "fork saver" that my dad made from aluminum. Works great. However, prior to that I used a piece of a 2x4 cut down to size. It also worked pretty good.

Attachments

• _MG_2083 (1).JPG
    _MG_2083 (1).JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 295
  • _MG_2082 (1).JPG
    _MG_2082 (1).JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 298

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Compressing the forks for travel is a non issue, no need for any devices. The screw you are referring to would be to bleed the air out, we usually do it after riding but not after transporting the bike.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I find I am able to get the straps alot tighter with the device in place.. Less bouncing on the trailer, less chance of a strap coming loose.

Mar 16, 2007
I dont quite understand how your fork saver thing works. I usually just compress the forks and strap the bike down. So the wood keeps the forks from compressing? Where does the fork rest on it?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
IndyYZ85 said:
I find I am able to get the straps alot tighter with the device in place.. Less bouncing on the trailer, less chance of a strap coming loose.

I've never had an issue securing a bike but if they work for that then it's worth it for your piece of mind. They aren't needed to save your seals etc like they advertise most of those fork savers though.

In our enclosed trailer I actually tie the bike down with turnbuckles to the footpegs with the bike on a center stand to avoid the use of tie downs all together.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
In our enclosed trailer I actually tie the bike down with turnbuckles to the footpegs with the bike on a center stand to avoid the use of tie downs all together.

That's about the best way to do it...

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
There was a great thread that Jeremy wrote regarding the "urban myth" of blowing seals whilst tiedown.... it just don't happen.

I had problems with our bikes coming loose crossing R/R tracks or unplanned bumps. I now strap the front tire down [in addition to the rear] and I synch the "bagezzus" out of the forks.

My pulse and blood pressure is with in prescribed operating parameters.

Ken

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
I get leaky seals from riding in goo, not from tying my bike down. I have pogo'ed my way down 4x4 "roads" and have not had a tie-down come off.
I thought I might put my handlebar through my rear window a few times! (SUV with moto-tote on rough fire roads)

That being said, inspect and replace your tie-downs when they look beat.
Your on your own if a tie-down breaks.

Top Bottom