Fork bleeding...

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
When should you bleed the air from your forks? I've got the Motion Pro bleed valves installed so I can bleed 'em whenever I want, but a friend of mine told me that it's almost worthless to bleed them except for when you're putting the bike away. Anyone got any opinions?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I was advised too blled mine after every moto.. Its easy too do..
Rick

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I bleed mine after every moto after it has cooled down a bit, hope I'm doing it right.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Bleed them every time you stop.

Pressure build up will depend on the type of fluid used and the amount of hydraulic action taking place. Any build up of 'air shock' pressure will negatively effect fork action.... given that it was set to suit in the first place.

Almost worthless to do until you're done riding? What is the thinking behind that? Does that thinking include only checking/filling your tires to proper pressure is worthless until you're done riding?

If you hear air escape when you hit your bleeders and can't tell the difference in handling immediately afterward I'd be surprised. If you hit 'em and you don't hear anything then guess there wasn't much of a buildup....but now you know that.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I agree with CC. I hit my bleeder button every time I stop and take a break in my riding. I unweight the front forks and extend them to their full length, then touch the button. I've had them build up pressure just sitting in the garage from a cool morning to a warm afternoon without the bike even leaving it's stand.
One reason maybe to bleed them after a ride would be to relieve the pressure on the fork seals?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
This build-up of pressure is not air. It is the gases released from the oxidation of your fork fluids.
I can't imagine it effecting the action of the fork to a noticible degree no matter what.
If you had pressure build up from just sitting in a garage from morning to afternoon, then I suggest your fork oil is as rancid as it can get and need to be changed out immediately.

Take a whiff of the bleeder next time you release your pressure (which at the end of the day is more than sufficient) and see if you smell anything. If it smells like burnt motor oil, your fluid is oxidized and should be changed out.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Fresh oil and replaced every 6 months. Eric at Nor Cal, a Race Tech franchise, does my shock and fork mainenance on a trade deal with me. I think I'll stick with his expert opinion and recommendation to bleed the pressure off the forks. It is most definately noticable.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I bleed the forks after every moto, assuming that the space in the forks not filled with oil is filled with air, which expands when heated by the fork action, thus creating pressure build up. I have often wondered what happens when the fork has cooled again, does the resulting vacuum draw more air in past the seals etc? And if air is going to get in anyway, why do we spend so much time when rebuilding forks to ensure that all the air has been expelled from the oil? If the bleeders work why can't we just do a rough job of getting out most of the big air bubbles, then ride it and use the bleeders? Anyhow, sorry about the more questions than answers, but I always bleed the forks, and nearly always get a satisfying hiss.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…