Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
My 99sx has right side up forks and fork boots on it. I never liked the boots too much on any of my bikes because I don't like what I can't see. Are there any other guards available??
Thank you
Wolf

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
Yes, I think so check out acerbis. They have a type of fork guard that looks like the ones that come with the summers fork kit. I remember seeing it in their catalog.

Mark

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I run fork booties from Holeshot. Thanks for this post, you just reminded me I need them for my new 400!

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
This is just my opinion but I believe they would protect the fork tube itself better since it is a rigid material. A rock from roost would hit it and bounce off. But a rock hitting a fork boot, the boot would give and the rock still will make contact with the fork tube. Which still could cause damage. With the dhh setup, the seals would be exposed to debris. I would look into getting the old style fork seal covers. That would eliminate that problem. Shark skinz makes them and they are cheap.

If I had right side up forks I would get the sharkskinz(which provide the seal protection of fork boots) and the dhh plastic covers which would protect the forks from impact damage.

Good luck with your decision. The above is my own opinion but I did use the set up on my 98 200 EXC.

Mark

savwa

Jun 24, 2001
keep them

I have a 99 380 exc and went thru 2 seals on the compression fork with the stock guards. I installed the boots and have not had a problem since. alot of ktm guys run the boots to get away from leaking seals.

Savwa

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
My '99 300exc came with plastic sliders. The neoprene booties are only $12.00 and work as good as the full length rubber ones and can be used with the plastic guards. I like having the plastic guards to deflect rocks and bushes. Bottom line is that any type of boot over the forks is better than none.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
The acerbis fork guards came in yesterday, and they only work in conjunction withh a DHH headlight. That's what they mount to. So I guess there are no guards that work with a # plate (SX). Too bad, I really liked the looks of them and as mentioned before, with the booties it would have been a cool setup.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
www.ktmworld.com shows on their "kbay" closeouts that you can get the OEM fork guards for the 45mm Marzocchis for $10 a set-- I think these are the same guards that just about everyone else has replaced with boots.

When my husband got his '99 250MXC, both fork seals went within a couple months of riding. Put in new seals and fork boots, and they've been fine ever since.

Top Bottom