robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Ok guys, here's the situation. Had rebuild, revalve (I think) and lowering done on the forks and shock. The main reason I had the work done was because I broke my wrist due to excessive bottoming over a medium sized double.

Now that I have the suspension back on, I can't say that I'm particularly impressed with the work, but it is improved - of course it should be since I hadn't done anything to the suspension since I got the bike in spring 2005. It's certainly not night and day as I expected.

Anyway, the main issue at this point is that the forks are bottoming over relatively small hits. I've adjusted the compression 2 clicks at a time - and I have no more adjustment on compression.

My springs are stock as far as I know, and the suspension guy said they'd be fine for my 145 lb weight. The forks don't seem too soft through the whole stroke - just bottoming too easily.

I'm wondering what the best solution is:

1: Change to heavier weight fork oil;

2: Raise the current oil level;

3: Both. . .??

Thanks

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I'd say short of another re-valve, raising the oil level is your best bet if the springs are correct. Any time I have tried thicker oil, I notice a harsher ride and still have to raise the level for the thicker oil to affect bottoming. Clickers seem to adjust a very small range to me...not surprising you couldnt adjust it out.

By small hit, I assume you mean small jumps? How does it ride in the braking/acceleration bumps? How does it handle the biggest hits?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
It's never bottomed so hard that I hurt the wrist much, but I've been pretty tentative since the wrist is still a bit limited.

It recently bottomed when I overjumped a 2-3 foot high double slightly downhill.

I haven't really gone for anything you'd call big since the work was done.

It feels pretty good otherwise. Braking bumps, etc are ok.

I'm beginning to wonder what the suspension guy did to the bike - we have/had a serious dispute over what I ordered for the suspension and what I ordered on rear shock/swingarm/linkage bearings. He denies that I ever ordered a re-valve, but says that he did it for free because he kept delaying the ship date of the suspension after saying it would be complete.

Of course, it would be a bit difficult for me to determine what he actually did.

Last edited:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
BTW, is it uncommon to experience problems like this after having a re-valve?

Is it possibly a sign of shoddy work or no re-valve at all?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I'm with James on the oil part because I've went to heavier oil and never liked the way it felt. But I would have to wonder what he did or did not do as far as the re-valve job goes.

Top Bottom