roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Does anyone know if there is much merit to the SRC for brace? I've seen the mags rave about them, but have never ridden a bike with one. I have an opportunity to buy a used one from an XR 400 to adapt to my XR 250. The part numbers are different so there will probably need to be some modification done to it, since the 400 has larger fork tubes than the 250. Any comments good or bad are appreciated.

Thank you,

Roostafish

------------------

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
The clamp flat rocks!

------------------
"Danger is one thing but danger combined with long periods of suffering is quite another." Sir E. Hilary
wilkey@mx-tech.com

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
On the XR's especially, it could be the single best modification, dollar for dollar, that you can do. The results are staggering! Go ride your bike without the brace on a rocky, nasty trail at speed and see how the bike reacts, then add the brace and do the same test. If you lock the bars or have someone hold them, you will be shocked at how much you can twist the wheel back & forth with your bare hand, now imagine how much it's twisting with you on it, at 20 mph on a nasty trail. Get the brace.

------------------
Scott in KC
Husaberg FE501E

"The Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow."

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Love mine too. But, I'd call SRC about mounting on an XR250. This doesn't strike me as a component that should be altered or mounted loosely. Best case may be that the machining is the same and the boots are sized to fit the two different bikes. Ask for installation instructions too, fender must be modified. And, with the retro fork guards, watch out for bottoming against the disk guard.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Thanks for the info. It would be nice to run the stock fork boots with the brace, but it seems there is no provision for it, the brace is actually in the way. I'm considering SRC's full length fork skins as a replacement.

Another note, this brace has grooves in it from rubbing on the front tire. That seems odd to me, do they all mount that close?

------------------

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I use the new "slider guards" and the "wet suit" boots. I like the setup. The brace does mount very close, but should never touch the wheel. I figure the design trys to avoid catastrophic "wedging" of rocks between the brace and wheel, hence the angle and proximity. I removed my brace last weekend for fork repairs and noticed a lot of grooves and dings, but it looks like rocks passing through to me.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

John K

Feb 22, 2000
No doubt about it, the SRC forkbrace is a great modification!! It transformed the front end feel of my XR6.

BUT, be real carefull jerry rigging a model suited for a different bike, the results could be disasterous!! The tyre should NOT rub on the brace this in itself could cause a fairly serious accident. If you are keen on retaining the fork boots you could perhaps consider the "Dog Bone" style forkbrace that RSW Racing makes. I have a demo review of their product, keeping in mind I have only ever seen pictures of it and they haven't sent me one to try. The Mock up review is at http://www.justxr.com/bracedemo.html

I can however vouch for the SRC item as I've had good results with the one I fitted to my bike. It comes with detailed fitting instructions which you would be wise to follow.

------------------
justxr.com

Two Strokes ain't so bad, My whipper snipper ROX!!!

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
John K,

That's hilarious! The pic from RSW is from my XR650L!! http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/escrowdog?a&.intl=us&.src=ph (click on XR650L) I had Ron make one for my last bike and I sent him a few pics of how I rigged it up with the stock boots. He makes a very good product at a fraction of the cost, around $90 with freight.

------------------
Scott in KC
Husaberg FE501E

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
I have not owned both, just the RSW, but have ridden an XR250 with the Summers. Both do the same the thing. The Summers is a tidy package with the fork protectors & all. I was more interested in price when I had RSW make mine. If it was a dual sport or street I would do the RSW in a heartbeat, if I was doing a total off road where the fork protection was an issue I would probably pop for the Summers, for looks mostly.

------------------
Scott in KC
Husaberg FE501E

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Sounds fair to me, I've recently been given an old '71 CB450 and already bought a fork brace for that over ebay. I'm converted!! No more flexy front ends for me!

I tend to think that more research has gone into the XR range as far as the SRC item is concerned. Plus as you say it is a very tidy looking package.

------------------
justxr.com

Two Strokes ain't so bad, My whipper snipper ROX!!!

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
I have one complaint about the SRC brace. They don't list one on thier website for my 98 RMX. I e-mailed them and they asked me what forks I had. I know it's something that I should know but the manual does't cover. I realize RMX'x are in the minoriety here but, thats sales they are missing.
I e-mailed RSW. We will see if they want my money.
What a grinch I am. ;)
Zack

------------------
Ridin' till I can't
'98 RMX250
'84 XR250r
Laid to rest:
'73 TC125

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Re: the src fork brace.

I recently put one on my XR600, thanks to the recomendations of DRN menmbers. And what they say is right. :D I completley noticed a difference right away. especially in ruts. Only bad part it when you trim the fender as needed it makes it flop a little more but I'm sure SRC will gladly sell you a front fender brace with the fork brace.

------------------
chicks dig scars, pain heals, glory lives forever

Top Bottom