Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I am hoping that this is the correct forum for this. I have a 91 xr200 and was wondering if the front end off of a 85 xr 250 will swap out with it. I have read before that the front suspension can be changed as long as you have the triple clamps, etc. Is there a substantial difference in the two forks? I know the xr200 has no adjustments on it and also has a drum brake. The xr250 has a disk brake and I can pick up the whole assembly (forks, brakes, wheel, triple clamps) for a few hundred bucks. I dont mind looking into this as long as it is relatively straightforward. I really dont want to have to machine parts to any large extent. Is the XR 250 fork substantially better, taller, will it cause a difference in ride height, or can I just slide the forks up in the clamps?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Lorin, This really is a straight forward swap. The forks are not neccesarily better, just workable. This is also the only econimical way to get a front disc. Simply remove the entire set-up from your XR200, and install the XR250 set up. I have used 87'-93' front ends for this swap, but do not believe there will be any difference on the 85'. I typically run the forks about 20-25mm above the upper clamp. You then can tailor the suspension with springs and "Emulators" for some decent trail performance. I know the purist out there will say your altering your front end geometry unless you have custom clamps fabbed up. But this machine desperately needs a better front fork and the disc. I have done several of these and have never encountered a negative feedback with the handling of the bike. It actually is surprising how good these "wifes" bikes can be ridden. I will check part #'s on the 85' in a bit, and post if I see a problem.

Fiche does show a different part# for the 85' stem assy., but it uses the same bearing and races as the ones I have used. So I would say, "Yes" it will bolt up.

I reccomend new bearings and races for a XR250, unless you can get the original races, and they are in good shape.

[This message has been edited by ochster (edited 03-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ochster (edited 03-14-2001).]

philb

Oct 28, 1999
Ochster, what is the major difference between the two systems, 87 XR200R and a 92 XR250R forks and shock? would it be worth the swap?

------------------
philb

87xr200r

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Philb, The biggest difference is the fact you get the ability to have a disc brake. The XR250 fork is a 41mm, and the XR200 is a 36mm. The 41mm fork is a little longer, but you can just run them up in the clamps. The stock 41mm springs are .36kg/in, and are atleast trailworthy. The "emulators" are sold by RT, and can be set-up to work decent in the woods. They are very simple, anyone can install and adjust them. The fact is the XR200 is not much lighter than the XR250. I weighed both front ends complete once. The XR250's was less than 3lbs. heavier. I can't vouge for the shock swap, I don't believe it is possible. I alway's thought they sorta stink bugged anyway.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Sorry, double posted.

frown.gif

[This message has been edited by John K (edited 03-17-2001).]

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom