Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've been toying with the idea of a front fork conversion to a more modern type set up. My current fork has the MX Tech base valve treatment, which improved it greatly, but, I am looking for another cool project. I have read all the threads here about this, and got to thinking I should call Jeff (Fredette) to see what he had to say. We've been going back and forth for about a week now, I'll give you the short version:
He is working on an Ohlin's set up w/triple clamps, brake set up, wheel/rotor. It will be a bolt on deal, no steering stem mods are necessary. It looks like he will have this setup available on a per order basis. He said he will complete developing it when he gets back from Poland at the end of the month. His estimates are about $1200 for the whole thing.
:aj: I can't wait, wouldn't mind loosing the rut snaggers;)

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately he is now travelling, so it will be a few weeks until I'll find out more. The thought actually never crossed my mind that they could be used. When we talked it didn't sound like used stuff.

L

LukeRips

Does anyone have the How-To for a fork conversion? I just wondered if there are certain years to look for in KX parts.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
The shops being able to work on them is of no concern to me.
Cost on the other hand is definitely a factor. I will keep an eye on e-bay. I haven't seen any KX front ends lately. If you happen to see one, let me know.
Thanks for the input

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm about ready to ditch the old 'root snaggers' myself. Too often that 4" underhang is a major PITA.

Guess I'm just plain lazy, but I'd like to see (someone else already having done the work) exactly what fits best where. The recent thread of a KX conversion that used the same bearings/stem was great...but not for an 'H' model kdx.

I know some KXs have isolated bar mounts, too. I'd sure prefer that over a hard mount.

Wolf: If you come up with the hot set-up, please let me know.

Not that my green tank will ever be a CRF-X, but riding one'a those red things sure makes me want to start looking for something upside-down!

Considering that a set of heebey forks would have to be serviced from the ground up (probably)..start adding up seals, sliders, boots etc.....then add in a revalve from Jeremy, stick in some new springs, replace all the stuck spokes on the corroded wheel, find the rotor to be .125" thick....ya'know...$1200 doesn't sound too bad.

Yeah. I'm just an optimist.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Hey CC, if you decide to ditch the "root snaggers" let me know...if I haven't got a KX front end for my 89 yet, i'd most likely be interested in yours. The 'H' model forks in even stock condition being better than my damper rod forks on the 'E' series....

-Maurice

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
You can get fresh ohlins forks off a cannondale for about $500. They appear to bolt up to a cr/crf triple clamp. So, he's prolly getting some c'dale forks, a set of cr/crf tiple clamps, axle, wheel, rotor and caliper. And you are good to go. There is an abundance of cr/crf parts

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Here's a tip on finding a KX front end. (It's how I found mine) E B A Y auctions for other KX parts from the same seller but not listing forks. I contacted a seller who was selling a frame and swing arm. He had the whole front end but figured that since it was '96 bike, no one would want it. I got everything including the handle bars shipped to me for almost nothing. ($300 plus shipping I think) I sold all my KDX stuff to Jeff Fredette for $50 less, Think outside the box when looking for the KX parts and good luck.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Well, considering that my mechanical abilities are limited, I would sure like to be able to find a "bolt on" set up. There is a 2000 KX front end on the auction site, I am keeping an eye on it.
I am also crunching the numbers, and the Fredette deal doesn't sound that bad. I should be able to sell my KDX front end (Jeremy Wilkey set up), and recover some money from that.
BTW, cc, the CRX isn't all its cracked up to be, IMO, I have ridden one several times now, yes I like it, but truthfully, my 225 blows it away, except for the front end

L

LukeRips

Wolf said:
There is a 2000 KX front end on the auction site, I am keeping an eye on it.

I know the bike this came from. Believe me, go with the Fredette deal. That KX125 they came from was lawn darted numerous times and jumped into lakes.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Maybe I'm just lazy but why would you want to? I've been there do that on a different bike a XR250. I had a KTM inverted fork sytem put on it. It was never really worth it and the bike was almost impossible to sell after words! Your KDX is a great bike as is. If you feel the need for a more suspension sell her and move up to a better bike. By the time you get it together you'll have darn near the cost of a better bike in a KDX? "It's a great bike. Just think of the dollar return" I'm off my soap box.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
marlin, I understand your point, but I have already built this thing. Its got the EG 225 motor, amongst other things, and I really, really, I mean really like that motor. If I sold it as is, I'd already take a huge hit, so I figure, build it the way I'd like it and ride it for a few more years.Nothing is set in stone though.....a week ago I had it up for sale, and had a new ride on order, but the new ride fell through, so I decided to keep the KDX....for now:)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I know where you’re coming from. The KDX is a great bike to up grade. Have you done anything to the stock suspension? Springs & gold valves made mine a different bike. I know how hard KDX are selling I have two on the market :bang: It's a buyer market right now. And I refuse to take a bath on my bikes. They can sit in the back of the barn.

Top Bottom