MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
Alright I'd like to know what effects fork height has on a bike. Pros/cons of lowering fork height. Pros/cons of raising fork height.

My 2003 KTM 250 EXC 2-stroker's front tire seems to want to wash out way too easy. I fell off 5 times today :laugh: Or may it was just too muddy :coocoo:

BTW it have my forks set to the 3rd lowest notch. I did this to lower my seat height.

paintedyellow

Dec 5, 2006
Fork height adjustment changes turn in speed and stability the more of the top of your fork is above your tripple clamp ie:the lower your bike the faster the turn in but as a result you will suffer from poorer stability but from what i have found the stability difference is only noticable at higher speeds but in my experience the stability loss is only noticable above 80 kmh, and even if you are a pro MXer you would probably never reach that speed on a track i reach that sort of speed regulary but i ride enduros and trails not MX.
also if you move your forks the other way the oposite happens if you need any more help let us know

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
You have decreased your bikes trail measurement by raising the forks in the tubes. The 2003 KTM really benefits from reduced offset tripple clamps, stock are 20mm and 18 or 17mm work better and help your trail measurement and front tyre grip. The stock clamps tend to make the front end push and understeer. Front tyre grip gets even worse with reduced trail which you have done by raising your forks.
Other things to help your trail are to run more sag in the rear and a spacer within the shock to lower the rear end.
Other things to check are that your rebound damping is not to quick and that your compression damping is not to stiff.

MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
Alright so raising my forks in the tubes lowers the bike height, makes my bike turn faster, but reduces front tire grip?

If thats the case, I need to lower forks in the tubes because my front tire washes out quick. What is this spacer you are talking about? Where can I get one and how much will it lower the bike? And what do you mean by reduced offset triple clamps? Are you talking about the degree that the forks point away from the bike?

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Actually just replied to your other post but thinking about it, your shock has a topout spring. I'm not sure how a spacer might be added you your shock, so best head on over to http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=11 and ask about it over there. Perhaps the topout spring can be removed. I'm unsure. I might even ask on your behalf.
The reduced offset triple clamps answer is a little complex but it relates to geometry. Again, head over to the above link and do a search on reduced offset triple clamps.

MasonW947

Nov 20, 2006
I was wondering what the second thin spring collar does. Like above the thick spring collar that rotates around the shock to set the pre-load... Its just sitting there all the way at the top.

Top Bottom