Fork help needed.

Shez

Jun 28, 2002
Folks,
I am rebuilding the forks on my 89 KDX200SR and am a bit confused as to how they come apart. I have ordered a manual but it hasn't arrived yet. At the bottom of the forks leg is a 14mm allen head socket, I have tried unoing this by hand but it wouldn't budge :confused: , in the middle of this allen head is an adjuster screw. Before I put the air tools onto that allen head is this what I should be undoing to remove the damping rod so I can fit my racetech gold valves ??

If somebody has a scan of the forks diagram they could mail me it would really help.

Cheers
Shez

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
What are you trying to do here? if you are getting at changing the seals, wrong way. same with changing fluid. if you are tearing them down, you need a special tool to hold the rod.

Shez

Jun 28, 2002
I am trying to take them apart. Every manual I have ever read says you need a special tool to hold the damper rod, never had one where it does yet, normally theair impact will be sufficient if it is really bad then a whittled broom handle will hold the damper.
I was trying to work out how the adjuster comes out as part of the bottom bolt, I attacked it with an impact and got it all done ok earlier today, had to re-install the springs to stop the damper from spinning.

Cheers
Shez

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
I was just getting ready to tell you if you leave the springs in it will hold it sufficiently but saw you figured that out.

Unfortunately, nobody seems to even sell the tool you need so you can make it quite easily. All you need is a 16" piece of steel tubing and a 30mm hex nut. Weld the nut on the end of the tube and you are in business.

The 30mm nut only works for the older bikes. The newer 96+ bikes need a 27mm nut.

Christopher

Shez

Jun 28, 2002
Thanks for that, I may actually make one (well two as I have a 97 KDX as well) it will make taking the forks apart much easier in the future.
Cheers
Shez

Scott Cox

Nov 13, 2001
A 30mm nut you say? Is that measured distance between the sides of the nut or the kind of nut that fits a 30mm bolt? I'm thinking the later would be too big. It would be nice to know as I'm getting ready to do mine now. 1989 kdx200.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
30mm Hex Head means between the sides...you might have a tough time finding one...I had to order one

Scott Cox

Nov 13, 2001
I thought that was the case. I just wanted to be sure before I made my "tool". I was able to find the nut at my local hardware store. It was something aliitle bigger than 3/4", I was looking more at the 30mm side to side thing. Anyway, it was easily available for me. Thanks mrmodine!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…