Fork leaks, exhaust leaks, steering loose.

smofpls

Jun 14, 2003
I have an 86' kdx200 that has shallow chips on one of the forks, and leaks fluid.

Is there something I can do to make the surface smooth and flush?

I'm not sure if the indentations are causing the leak.

I read in the archives, how someone used film negatives to clear a fork seal. How does one do this, wrap it once or twice around the tubes and pump the front forks up and down to dislodge dirt?

Also it seems to run well for all I know. Pulls strongly in short bursts while on throttle throughout the gears. Brrrp, Brrrp, Brrrp.

Revving it stationary there is slight exhaust smoke coming from the right front of the cylinder head.
It seems to be in the head gasket area.

How difficult is it to do a top end on this oldie, should I and will I need special tools?

I have never taken apart a steering stem, maybe the bearings need repacking and tightening? Will I be able to find parts?

This site is terrific and I am taking my time skimming over the hundreds of threads.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
Hi As far as the cylinder head is concerned, before you start to take it apart check that all the nuts that hold it down are tight, as one might be loose which would allow gasses to escape. you will not need any special tools, just make sure if you replace the gasket remove all the old gasket completely and make sure the surface clean, also check that your head is not warped as this is another thing which could cause these symptoms.
I have no idea about the forks, If you mean that you have play in the stearing stem as in when you hold the front break in and rock the bike back and fourth if you can feel play then first try tightening the nut which holds the tripple clamps together if that is already tight then your bearings will probably need replacing.
Hope this helps
Andy

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You need to try a wet stone. Look in the suspension forum on nicked tubes.

On the smoke, I would bet a can of Spam that your oil seal/o-ring is shot on your power valve, which enters the cylinder on the right side.

Good luck with that KDX!

Top Bottom