Fork Maintenance

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I'm going to change the fork oil and fork springs on my 01 CR250. I've never worked on forks before and was wondering if there are any seals that must be replaced when changing oil and springs? Will I need any special tools? Currently my fork does not leak and I've had no problems with it.
Thanks

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
One thing I found useful is a fork cap wrench (50mm). It made life a lot easier and it doesn't tear up the fork caps (Motion Pro/Dennis Kirk $32). Impact wrench is nice to get the rebound adjusters out of the bottom. Your bushings are coated (dark color) and if they look bronze it would be a good idea to replace them.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
goto www.mx-tech.com and to downloads, jer has a complete guide to the twin chamber forks.You have to be careful when removing the damper rod as the threads on the end can damage the cartridge seal.You dont have to replace the fork seals(behind the dust seals) unless they leak.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Jeep, you will need to make the little "fork" shown in your manual. You can get away with a large open end wrench on the top caps, but be very. very careful. The 50mm boxed end is much better. You do not need an impact to do the TwinChambers, a normal socket will work fine, but you will need to hold the fork in a vise (soft jaws). Marcus is right on the damper rod. Some grease on the threads will help when reinstalling.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…