transamlt1man

Apr 2, 2006
Today I took my bike out and I noticed there was a noise coming from my left fork when I compressed it and released it. I took it off and took it apart. I took the damper out and it was weird, normally it extends the rod out but instead it would suck it in. So I would pull it out and it would suck it back in. Something is wrong with the damper or the damper cap. The forks were rebuilt about 1 month ago. Anyone have this problem and have an idea what is wrong. Do I need a new damper cap? Is it bleeding oil out of the damper some how?

transamlt1man

Apr 2, 2006
So will I have to replace the fork damper cap not the damper rod assebly or whatever its called? Or is it fixable. The cap is only $80...

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
The seal on the bottom of the cartridge was most likely damaged when the forks were worked on last. The thread at the bottom of the damper rod is like a razor when you run your finger across it. If the midvalve was reworked and the service guy pulled the threaded portion through the seal (as he would have too to change the mid valve) without first addressing this, the seal will have been damaged, the oil will escape into the rest of the fork and your cartridge now has air in it.
If your midvalve has had work done on it, I would take the fork back and have them replace the seal.
But they need to beaware that the same thing will happen if they do not firstly smooth of the sharp edge thread and pack it with grease before running the threaded portion through the seal. You might want to check the other side too.

transamlt1man

Apr 2, 2006
I was the one that put seals in it. I have done dozens of them but never had this problem. Anyways I called Race Tech and they said the same thing, that the damper rod seal is probably bad. I ordered a pair of seals from them and another seal that they said might be bad. (no idea what the other one is yet??) Last night I drilled the things out and removed the plug in the bottom and got the seal out. Now I just have to wait for the seals to get here. Thanks

Top Bottom