Fork oil from the factory? is it really that bad?

SamMiDD

May 20, 2004
I have a 04 Rm125 Suzuki and the suspensions pretty good on it all i have done is altered the clickers slightly.

Anyway i rode a freinds Rm125 which had had a full suspension service no revalving just new fork oil...it felt a lot more plush.

I know the oil that comes from the factory is'nt the best quality but is there a really big difference because i felt one?

Also is changing the amount of fork oil to soften the front forks up a good alternative to the more expensive option of softer springs? My rear shock was actually slightly to soft but i find my forks slightly hard.

Thanks in advance

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I don't know that the factory suspension fluids are all that bad. But I do think the air bleed completeness on shocks is fairly suspect from the factory. Further more, any manufacturing related particles will contaminate the initial fluids farily quickly. To this end, it's recommended to put a few hours on brand new suspension sufficient to break-in; then service. This will get all the manufacturing junk out and ensure a good bleed on the shock. This alone will improve performance. Altering the fork oil height effects the last 1/3 stroke of the fork. In order to maintain good bottoming resistance, revalving is a preferred way to soften.

Top Bottom