lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I am going to try a Seal Mate first.....but it says I need to pry the dust seal up with a small screwdriver. I have done this before on a mtn bike, but the seal was much closer to the top. I have the conventional forks on my 2003 and the dust seal edge is pretty far down in there. Any tips on getting it up without damaging it?

If I do end up having to change the seals, what size special tool will I need to hold the cartridge while removing it? Is it 27mm? In the past with forks from other bikes I have just used an impact wrench and loosened the allen bolt while the fork is still assembled. Then when the fork is taken apart it is easy to remove. Is there any reason why I have never seen anyone mention this method with KDX forks? Thanks.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Wish I had the answer but I'm having the same problem on the same bike. If you don't mind,when you get it fixed post a step by step for me or shoot me an email. Ofcourse if I get the solution first I'll do the same. Thanks !!!

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I talked to the people that make the seal mate and he said that he wouldn't try to get the dust seal up, he would just go down beyond the dust seal and stick it further down in to get to the oil seal and try that. the problem i see is that it is just going to pull the dirt up from the oil seal and deposit it between the dust and oil seal...only to get back in the oil seal again. But it is worth a try.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I tried the Seal Mate tonight while leaving in the dust seals. It got a few grains of dirt out on each side. I can't say for sure but it seemed to help. I could push down on the forks a few times and there would be some oil before. Now they are staying dry. But I will have to ride it around the neighborhood some to make sure. Then I am putting on some seal savers and removing the velcro ones (which let in lots of dirt).

Top Bottom