Fork Oil level on a 01,300 exc

rdlgrega

Nov 17, 2001
Fork Oil level on a 2001 300 exc, how much does it take?

Rebuilding forks on a ktm for the first time. How much fork oil do I need to to change seals? Can I measure down from the top of the compressed fork. If so what is the recomended measurement.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Your bike should have the WP USD43 forks. I show 2 versions in my book, WP 0518V703 filled 130mm from the top & WP 0518V704 filled 150mm from the top.

Click here for instructions http://www.mx-tech.com/downloads/2814_valve_installation.pdf

To fill the forks you'll need to bleed the oil thru the damping rod. Do this by filling the forks completely with oil (springs out) and lift the assembly up and down several times. Thread the cap on and hold the fork tubes at a slight angle and lift them up & down also. Check the oil height several times during this process as the level will drop and air will get back in there. Once you're sure you have all the air out use a syrenge to draw the oil out to the required level. Put the springs back in and adjust the clickers.

Be careful when taking the forks apart and follow the instructions. There will be in this order when taking apart. The dust seal, a clip that you have to pull out using a small screwdriver. The seal itself (heat the tube before you start yanking them apart, this will help the seal to come out and keep from bending the flat washer that under it )

I had hell with mine the 1st time and had to redo them. Also ended up bending the flat washer under the seal so bad I thought it was a spacer, it had turned completely sideways. I bent it back straight but it has since bent again and I'm not sure why. It's a very soft washer and it has to be there.
After you figure out how to do it, it's a peice of cake.

Top Bottom