Fork Oil levels and how to check (1995 KX80)

evenace2006

Feb 20, 2006
Hey again guys,

I've been searching around for an answer to this but I'm a little confused. I have removed the forks (standard NOT upside down) from my 1995 KX80 small wheel because I want to put in a heavier oil and I was told by the mechanic at the bike shop that in order to reduce the forks bottoming out, I could add a little bit more oil to the forks but not too much, like say 10 or 15mls. If this is correct, then how do I go about doing this? If I remove the top caps will the forks spring apart into heaps of pieces, or can I simply remove the top caps, invert the forks and drain the oil into a measure of some sort, and then replace the oil with a thicker type also adding 10-15mls to the level that comes out? Or is there a simpler way to check the level. I have ordered a workshop manual but I'm still waiting for the damn thing to arrive, and I just want to get my suspension sorted before this weekend!

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
If you are not totaly disassembling them then let them drain upside down, that will take awhile, then with the spring out and the top tube all the way down you want the oil to be about 100mm from the top of the tube. Make sure all the bubbles stop before measuring. That too will take a while. Pumping them with the palm of your hand over the top will help get the air out, put the spring back in and you should be good to go.

evenace2006

Feb 20, 2006
So basically you unscrew the top caps, and turn the forks upside down to let the oil drain out. Then you remove the spring and push the top tube all the way down (essentially 'bottoming-out' the shock) and then do the measurement from there right?

Thanks for your help minutz, and also for your replies to my other question about the rear shock adjustment!

Mark

Top Bottom