moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I have a 2005 Yz250, I weigh 170 pounds and ride mostly harescrambles.

I just took the forks to my local Yamaha dealer for seals and a service and now I seem to have some problems with them. The forks are very harsh now and seem to be sagging/sticking 2-3" down into the stroke. They didnt do this before the service. I first thought I had the forks/wheel on wrong causing binding but I have since had the wheel off many many times. I used Jeremy's advice and did the brake trick to aline the forks and wheel but they are still doing the same thing. I am lost at this point as to what Im doing wrong or as to what they did wrong? I plan to take the bike back to the dealer asap but I just want to have some ideas before I go getting upset with them.

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I did loosen the bleeders to check for air, there was very little. I asked them to check and replace the bushing if need be but I am doubtful they changed them by the $114 bill. I assum they put the same amount of oil back in but i cant be sure. They do compress off the bike but seem hard compared to before. I have 2 other bikes in the garage, none of them feel anywhere near as hard as these do and none of them stick/sag like these do.

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I really still could use some help?? I took the forks back to where i had them done and told them what was happening. They said they would try again. So i went to pick them up and they wanted to charge me even more money so i kindly reminded them how much money I spend there and they ended up giving them to me and more or less told me there was nothing more they could do... So anyways I final got out to do some real riding today and much to my horror they are just as bad. I had a couple other people ride my bike and they all said they were awful. We tried to adjust the compression out and ended up all the way out which did soften them but made even more issues. I am at a total loss here, they were decent forks before they went there.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
thats really hard to say without having a look at the forks.

what you can do is look up your oil volume. remove the fork legs and let the oil drain by losen the fork cap, at least for one hour. tell us the amount of oil coming out of each leg.
so we can exclude point by point.

and for the future, never give your suspension to your local dealer, except you know he is accepted to do such work!

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
Worse part is they have replaced the seals in these fork before with no issues. Anyway it looks like they use some tool that grabs the inside of the fork cap instead of the outside? I have never taken forks apart before so I am a little gun shy and I dont think I have anything big enough to remove the caps outside of a pipe wrench lmao

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I bought a set of forks from an 06 because I have wanted to upgrade them anyways and have my first harescramble in less then 2 weeks. I plan to order the tools and tear these forks apart so i can figure out what they did wrong and use them as a learning tool. I have always worked on my own bikes and I figure it is time to learn how to service my own forks :)

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I agree these 05 forks have sucked from the time i bought this bike new. They were never this bad though. I am glad the 06 forks bolted right up nice with no issues. They have a Pro Circuit KYB Works Kit. I cant wait to ride with these ;)

Top Bottom