Fork seal stiction...how much is proper??

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have my Showa twin chamber forks disassembled. I noticed that one set of outer tubes has substantially less friction than the other. Keep in mind that there are no internals and it is only seal/slider friction that I am feeling. The tubes appear to be round, straight, and undamaged. The first set of tubes will stay in position if fully compressed. The second set of tubes will extend fairly quickly due to gravity. The friction/action is smooth and consistent in both legs, one is just freer than the other. Neither fork was leaking...they are apart for a revalve.

Which is proper? If both are ok, is it normal to have such a difference in seal/slider friction on tubes from the same set of forks. These forks have about 7 hours on them.

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
James,
Most likely the one seal on the leg with least stiction have / or have had a tiny leak. The inner seal-lip have let through some oil, and it’s held inside the seal by the outer seal-lip and the scraper / dust seal. (less friction due to the one seal is lubricated)

Try to put a tiny bit of seal grease or fork oil on the other fork leg, slide it up and down a couple of times, and feel if the stiction will be reduced. I bet it will.

I find it hard to feel drag or stiction in the fork bushings when the forks are disassembled(no internals). It’s usually always the seal-drag you are able to feel then.

Good luck!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Crosshatch the sticky one I assume? Should I worry about the seal that MAY have leaked into the center of the seal or wait and see if it leaks out of the bottom?

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I may try that scotchbrite trick Jeremy mentions. The stiction in my twin chamber forks on my '94 RM250 is really bad. This even after polishing the rods. With forks on the bike I can push down on the handlebars, loading the suspension a few inches and it just stays there. This makes for really poor action on the trail. They just beat the heck out of me. I don't ride the bike anymore because of it, now that I have my XR4. I'm gonna sell it.

Top Bottom