Josh125

Nov 8, 2006
Hello, I was just wondering if you guys think that $240 is a lot of money to have fork seals replaced? I asked the yamaha shop guy why it was so much..He said that its a complex job to do.....Does this sound about right? Thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It sounds like you should do it yourself. It takes about an hour and isn't that hard. There are excellent tutoriala on line, and if it is only seals, then no special tools are actually needed.

Note: My opinion is based on inverted forks, conventional forks are easier.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think that is a little high, unless you are bringing them the whole bike and expecting them to remove the forks, too.

I would think $90+- leg would be typical if you bring them in the forks. It might be a little higher in your area if shop rates are high.

Part of the time is inspecting the parts, deburring the legs if necessary, etc...

Besides labor, any shop will charge you full retail for seals (maybe $20 per side) and they will probably recommend and put in their most expensive fork fluid (maybe $20 per leg). If they gouge you a bit more on seals and fluid, they could get to $120/leg pretty quick.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Replacing seals is easy...doing an entire service of the forks properly is much more involved. $240 does seem high, but for some reason I seem to remember at least an hour and a half allocated for doing the pair.

Factor in fluid, seals, and the guides that are likely worn, too, and possible deburring of nicks in the fork tubes and you could be at $240.

I just noticed that yours is an 87 RM. I think that one might be less complicated, though.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I was quoted $250 for an 01 KTM.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
Whaaaaaat?? I get mine replaced for 75 bucks total...and that's just dropping off the bike...it's cheaper if you just take the forks in. :) I'm tight with the owner, but it's not MUCH cheaper than their regular price. See, the farmlands of Ohio have SOME benefits. lol

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
thats rediculas- :yikes: - exactly why shops dont have a lot of work- :coocoo:
its easy to do -
get a book -,and make a seal driver out of pvc or something-
they slide right in - its not like there pressed in -lol- just put a lil grease on them-
dont for get the new oil-hahaha- kiddn

hell i had pro circuit do mine- with a revalve- for that!-- not just new seals :|

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Average prices here in SoCal are $110 on bike for both forks, $90 off bike. This includes seals and fluid, and minor deburring of fork tubes if necessary. Obviously, any other parts needed would be additional.

$240 sounds crazy.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I paid $95 + price of seals per leg last time I had them done. that was for full service on the forks, fresh fluids included.
if they are only changing the seals, $240 is expensive, but if they are doing a full service on the forks, I think its reasonable.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Josh,did you call around for prices? For that price,if it was me,I would call an expert and have them set for you!Toll Free #: 877-850-5114,Brandon or Jeremy,I heard a rumor that Brandon has been doing some extra curricular work!!!MX TECH

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I watched one of the guys at our local shop change the seals on a new CRF450. Including buffing out several small scratches (which took at least 20 minutes), it took him less than 45 minutes to disassemble, clean, put new seals in, add fluid, and reassemble/bleed both forks.

I pay $25-30 for a set of seals (both legs) and $10 for enough fork oil to do both legs. This means that for $240 you are paying over $200 per hour for a technician to change your seals...unless the technician doesn't know what he is doing and takes several hours. Still, how many of you know mechanics that make more than $100/hour? Totally ridiculous amount of money.

I'm sorry, that is NOT reasonable for a fork service no matter how you look at it. For that kind of money - or not much more - you can send your forks away and have them revalved/resprung according to your weight/riding style as well as having them serviced.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
ghunter said:
This means that for $240 you are paying over $200 per hour for a technician to change your seals.

No, that isn't how it works.

In addition to the hour's wage to the mechanic you are paying for:

Rent to have a shop to work in.

Utilities so the mechanic doesn't have to work in the dark.

The administration, so the mechanic doesn't have to do all the paperwork.

Some percentage of the cost of the tools that were required to do the job.

State & Federal taxes, social security, workman's compensation, etc etc.

The "idle" time between finishing your job before he is actively working on the next customer's bike.

The shop needs to make a certain $$$ per hour to keep the doors open. I am sure that the mechanic didn't make $200 for that hour's work.

Rod

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Yes, yes, I do understand economics. My statement wasn't to describe where every dollar goes, but to show that WHEREVER it goes that rate is too high if you subtract the cost of materials needed to do the job.

My point is that you ARE paying for service at an hourly rate. Regardless of the what the mechanic put in his pocket the bottom line is the same:

You would be paying over $200/hour to someone for mechanical labor.

Check a Mercedes dealership, they don't charge that much...and neither do any motorcycle shops that I have heard of.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nope,mcdirt has a better grasp on reality!
"I watched one of the guys at our local shop change the seals on a new CRF450. Including buffing out several small scratches (which took at least 20 minutes), it took him less than 45 minutes to disassemble, clean, put new seals in, add fluid, and reassemble/bleed both forks. "I am sure 45 minutes is not the average time considered for the job! And I charge extra for spectators,and more if it has been monkeyed with."
I pay $25-30 for a set of seals (both legs) and $10 for enough fork oil to do both legs. This means that for $240 you are paying over $200 per hour for a technician to change your seals...unless the technician doesn't know what he is doing and takes several hours. Still, how many of you know mechanics that make more than $100/hour? Totally ridiculous amount of money." Shop rates run 60 bucks and up,if some DA quotes you a price of 60 dollars labor and 45 in parts you will be lucky,if there is anything else wrong then what? MX Tech's charge for disassembly and inspection is 79 dollars,the likely parts you need will be around 120 dollars,plus oil.Under no circumstances ever find out what the other professions charge! Cut rate brain surgery is not far fetched!"
I'm sorry, that is NOT reasonable for a fork service no matter how you look at it. For that kind of money - or not much more - you can send your forks away and have them revalved/resprung according to your weight/riding style as well as having them serviced." Revalved and new springs,probably in the neighborhood of 500 bucks. A little disparity,of an opinion,and the best damn suspension technicians on the planet! And do not be alarmed by the price of parts or availability,20 year old bike and a new one are going to require different parts!

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Hmm, seems we have a difference of opinion. Or maybe it is location?

Or maybe since you are talking about what you charge, you are charging too much and trying to justify it? Maybe you can't do it in 45 minutes? So what. I'm never said anything about prices or times in your area. I mentioned ONLY what it costs people where I live.

Whatever. I'm not trying to start a pissing match. You disagree, fine. I can accept that. It's your money you are throwing away if you are paying that much for a fork seal replacement. I'll happily agree to disagree and save my $140!

As for charging more for onlookers, who pissed in your cereal this morning? Motocross shops in my area are known for their casual attitude toward customers. People stand around and BS all the time with the staff and with other customers. Its all part of the sport.

The prices I quoted are from the shop around the corner from where I live, posted on the shop wall. Yes, if you need internals it will cost more, sure. But we are talking about replacing fork seals right? So who said anything about the cost of replacing other parts? How many times do you actually NEED new parts other than seals and oil? I merely mentioned those things as I had JUST been on the MX-Tech website not moments before to see what they charged for revalving.

As far as 'some DA quoting me'...it's not a quote, its standard prices at any of 5 or 6 local repair shops in MY area. Even the stealer's charge the same, or within a few dollars.

And as far as MX-Tech...the following comes from their website:

MX-Tech Fork and Shock Rebuild $79.00
With our rebuild service, everything is completely disassembled and cleaned, inspected and measured for wear. As an incentive for maximizing your suspension investment, MX-Tech always updates suspension that has been previously valved to the latest specifications. As technology advances, you can continue to take advantage of our research.

MX-Tech Revalving with MX-TECH Valve Installation. $245.00
MX-Tech revalving allows you to get the maximum control from your suspension. We service your components and reassemble your suspension with new MX-Tech valves and our exclusive Midvalve technology specifically designed according to your weight, height, riding style and ability and terrain. Clickers are set at a starting point and a tuning guide along with a specification sheet and T-shirt are included with the cost.

So I forgot to include springs at $100. My mistake, I miscalculated. The point I was trying to make still stands.

Look, I'm not trying to start an argument. The OP asked opinions about whether he was being charged too much and I replied with my opinion and facts based on real numbers from shops local to me. I guess those of us who live in SoCal get better deals than some other areas.

When I mentioned the prices in this thread to the owner of the shop I quoted in my first post, his reply was "Damn, send those people to me. I'd love to have customers stupid enough to pay $240 to replace fork seals!"

And that, my friend, is what this thread is about. Fork seals, oil, and labor. Not extra parts, or anything else. For those three things, $240 is WAY to much money, any way you slice it.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
$120 per leg is abit high, at least that would be for us. The shop I work in will do this for new seals.

$68/hour labor, takes the mech about 45 minutes to do both = ~$51
New fork seals + wipers = ~$30
New fork oil = ~$15
$20 shop fee (standard fee)

Total = ~$89 plus taxes. The price can be changed somewhat if different oil and fork seals are used. But for me, all I payed for was seals and oil to have new ones put in and I learned a bunch, I learn to do valve adjustments tomorrow. Pretty cool training IMO! :D

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It all boils down to responsibility. Most shop insurance strictly prohibits where customers are to be and not be. No suspension person that I know would quote a guy with a pair of 87 puking forks just to change the seals(try mb1 or renegade bob from michigan,NOT!). Service plus parts,240 was a safe high quote. I would not do it myself,I do not know all the specs on wear,and would not want to shag parts for a 20 year old bike! The last thing I would do is go boasting about how carefree and the cut rate deals that I get from suppliers. Suspension parts fatigue and wear,and need to be replaced like everything else! Do you think the guy gives a damn who quoted the price just to change seals,if they fail in a week from some worn parts! Well he did what was asked,nothing more,or the cash register goes bananas! Responsible price,or walmart price!

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I still don't see your rationalization, nor do I see where this comes down to responsibility. If the forks need more parts or more work, so be it, expect to pay for those parts or extra labor. But we aren't discussing that. We are talking about the replacement of fork seals and a price of $240 to perform that service.

Around here, fork seals are a commodity as frequently changed as tires. Perhaps because of this, the shops know that there is very little room for price manipulation if they want to be competitive with the next shop.

I agree with you that if a pair of forks needs additional internal components it will definitely cost more to repair them, perhaps even $250 or higher. I never did argue with that.

Top Bottom