fork seals and scratches on the tube

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
well at the end of last summer i noticed that my one for seal was leaky. I didn't give much thought to it and figured it would be a project for later. Well i am now looking at it a bit more closely. The tube has a small scratch on it. about 1/2 and inch in length. as for depth it is hard to describe. If you run your finger over it you can feel it. I have a couple of questions
1) Is this causing the fork seal to leak?
2) If this is how much do you think replacing the lower fork tube would cost?
3) Can i save it by buffing the scratch?, i have read some things about this but i wondered what you guys think
4) Also i am trying to figure out when this would have happened. My brother dumped it on a gravel area, and i didn't look at the tube since then, could that have nicked the tube?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
1) Yes the seal will leak from a scratch on the tube
2) They aren't cheap but you might be able to find a used one but it could also be scratched so be aware.
3) Yes you can remove scratches if they aren't too bad. Use a fine sharpening stone to carefully remove the scratch and 0000 steel wool to finish it off. Don't get too aggressive and take your time so as not to remove any more that you have to. Don't be temped to use a buffing wheel because it will make the surface too smooth. Some minor scratches are needed for oil retention.
4) Rocks are probably the biggest cause of tube scratches. Head on collisions with movable and unmovable objects will do it too ;)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well, I use the term "friend" loosely...it's hard to have real friends when I'm so superior. :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom