Fork Seals- How Much of the Fork to Disassemble

bkrosco

May 26, 2001
I've got a 95 CR250. What I want to know is how much of my fork needs to be taken apart to replace the fork seals? I have a manual but it shows replacing fork seals as part of doing a bunch of other stuff so I'm not sure how much is necessary.

Do I need to drain and replace the oil?

I've never done this before and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I was cared the first time I tore them apart on my xr, becuase the manual make it LOOK really hard. Yes you will have to drain the oil. Just read the manual really good, or find a buddy to help you thats done it before. Its really not as hard as it looks. People are right when they say, "dont be afraid to tear apart your bike"

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
You have to take them almost all the way apart. It's not a big deal if you have a manual. Make sure you have the proper tools before starting because it's alot easier to put something back together right after you take it apart. Make sure you have the new seals, fluid, measuring device for fluid, and a cleaning agent to clean the parts after dissasembly on hand before you start. You may also want to inspect the condition of your dust seals and replace if needed at this time. There is nothing to be afraid of inside the forks. Just follow the instructions. Worst case scenario is...you have to take them in to be put back together for the same cost you would have incurred to have them changed in the first place. Just make sure you use the proper tools and don't do anything to damage your fork components.

Happy Wrenching & Good Luck

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I know this is off the topic but it relates. I won't be riding too much in the next two weeks so I wanna really do a job on my bike. Part of what I want to do is to take off the fork covers and really clean up the forks. I wanted to know if there is anything you can put on them to help make the seals last longer and smoother. I have this Turtle Wax spray on stuff that makes anything super smooth and I was wondering if it was a good thing to spray on there.

Top Bottom