94rmx250

Feb 1, 2003
hey, i've got a 96' rm 250, and it seems that one of fork seals is leaking. Instead of fixing the seals right away, i was trying to buy some time by jus topping up the fluid level and keeping a close eye on it. On the top of the forks, under the handle bars, there is two screws on each fork. One is for setting how stiff the fork is, and the other, i take it, is for filling up with fluid?..it jus seems to be such a small screw, that im not sure if this is where u add fluid. Any help guys???

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
No that other screw is for bleeding the air from the shocks. To add fluid you have to undo the whole bolt on top of the shock, take out the spring, and then fill her up. Good Luck <Try and find a close up pick of a set of forks and youll c what i mean, or just look at your bikes set>

94rmx250

Feb 1, 2003
im not sure i understand....i take the top bolt off the fork, but itsnt there a preloaded spring inside?..How do i deal with that?

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
1 Loosen top triple clamp bolts
2 with bike on stand, remove fork caps...spring pressure is negligible
3 remove springs
4 fully compress forks
5 fill with oil to desired level...typically 90 to 120 mm from top with forks compressed...check the manual.
6 reassemble and ride

you can try the film thing. I've had some success with it, sometimes it doesn't work.

Roger

94rmx250

Feb 1, 2003
ok, i got as far as removing the top fork bolt...but the spring wont lift out..i mean the top bolt is threaded out all the way...but it seems like when i pull to lift out, something is holding the spring in???

Rick G.

Jun 30, 2002
The fork tubes have to be removed from the triple clamps. This means taking the front wheel off and sliding the forks down through the triple clamps while the bike is on the stand. Right now the weight of the wheel etc. is holding the spring in. The forks have to be straight up and down anyway to fill them accurately. Then the caps have to be removed by holding the nut under the cap and turning it against the cast in "nut" on top of the clamp. The fork oil level is achieved by removing the springs and filling the oil to a predetermined level measured from the top of the tube. You might as well just fix the stupid seals while you're there, they will go again someday anyway!

Top Bottom