jbull

Jan 7, 2004
How are fork seals affected by cold weather? My new CR250 is stored in my unheated garage for the winter and I'm concerned that the cold temps (below 0^) may have an an adverse affect on suspension seals. Has anyone ever had a problem with this issue?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Some showa shocks leak from the seal when it gets cold, generally its not a problem.My garage gets to below zero sometimes.

flo

Feb 23, 2002
I have a YZ 250 2002 and CR250 1990. The CR is now in the 4-th winter with temperatures down to -25 C (sorry i don't know how much is in F), without heat in the garage, i ride it in snow and zero problems. YZ is in the same garage, but last winter at the and i observed that the shock and then later the left fork were leaking. Now i don't know it was because of dirt or cold. This winter the suspensions on YZ are new and till now are ok ...knock on wood.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
If you are storing your bike in a very cold garage its not a good idea to sit on it during the depths of winter and make vroom, vroom noises.
Any frozen moisture in the forks will tear the seals. Try and control yourself 'till spring.

Top Bottom