marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I was chatting to a suspension guy as we got onto speeds of fork travel, the forks they measured  got upto 11mS-thats the height of 2 houses in one second.Now they wanted to use this info to test setups, so they put a fork in a shock dyno thats as big as a house and has a concrete case.The shock dyno when working at 11mS was starting to physically bounce around-dont forget this thing is the size of a small house and weighs tonns. So when you think of the forces and speeds involded, you get more of a idea what your forks do :eek:

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Yep...I heard of a guy chasing his set-up and not getting it to suit him.....then he checked his front tire pressure and found it had 25lbs in it. DOH!

That had to be embarrassing, huh Marcus!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i heard about that guy- apparently, once he let the air out of the tires, it lowered the bike just enough that he could touch the floor with his toes! :)

but i am just bitter since no one replied to my thread about good uses for shims!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
i heard about that guy- apparently, once he let the air out of the tires, it lowered the bike just enough that he could touch the floor with his toes! :) 

Now who can that be??? :p :)

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
An Aussie friend of mine used to work for Noleen and then went on to work for Showa. He said when they put suspension on the dyno the whole room shook like as if they were having an earthquake!
I think they were located in socal...but just imagine the kind of comp. and reb. forces in action, it would be cool to watch and even cooler to try different set-ups...

shed

Dec 9, 2001
Race cars that I work on have damper velocities up to 350mm/s, 11m/s is a pretty big hit! One interesting thing is that the shock / fork will always spend more time at low speeds.

Top Bottom