KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Finally got around to getting heavier fork springs. The installation went fine but after I got everything buttoned up there is a clicking sound when I push down on the fork. I'm pretty sure it's only one side and it happens roughly 4 or 5 in. into the travel. They work fine otherwise so what gives?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you held the fork tubes stationary and spun the cap down you twisted the spring a little and it is rubbing inside the tube. I did that the first time, it eventually went away as the spring worked itself back.

The right way is to hold the base of the fork stationary and hold the cap stationary. Then spin the upper tube to thread the cap down.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
Been there...

I have a 99' KDX220 and recently upgraded to FRP .40 springs. I had a horrible time trying to eleminate the clicking. I tried re-installing, I tried reducing the pre-load, and nothing worked. I finally went to .38 springs because the .40's were too stiff on rocky trails. For whatever reason, the .38's are quiet as factory.

Good luck.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I had racetech springs put in about a month ago and have the same clicking , not going to worry as the bike is so much improved since the change .

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Spinning the inner tube may not be the best thing for the inner, outer and damper rod bushings, just tighten the cap.

Any chance it is the free floating disc brake making the noise? Are you hearing it when you have the front brake on and THEN push down on the forks? Pull up against a wall or similar object to block the front wheel, THEN try it.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
glad2ride said:
Spinning the inner tube may not be the best thing for the inner, outer and damper rod bushings, just tighten the cap.

Any chance it is the free floating disc brake making the noise? Are you hearing it when you have the front brake on and THEN push down on the forks? Pull up against a wall or similar object to block the front wheel, THEN try it.
OK, I just tried that and it still clicks.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess i'll leave it for now. My riding season is just about over anyway. I'll have plenty of time to deal with it after it's too cold to ride.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
glad2ride said:
KDXruss, what brand springs did you install?

What sort of washers or spacers do you have in there?
The springs are FRP 40's and the washers and spacers are all stock.

Top Bottom