Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am looking for the best way to hold the spring while assembling/disassembling. I know some use a 7/16 box wrench, but that means I need a 3rd hand. Does anyone sell a tool for that?
no 3rd hand available here....and I really need to put in a smaller spacer! (XR springs).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've used a wrench. Doesn't work too well in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

Make a 'tool'. Consists of a piece of sheet metal a bit wider than the fork tube with a slot cut into it the width of the rod, as deep as the fork tube radius + 1/2" or so.

It takes up less 'length' than a wrench and stays put whilst you mess with them longer-and-soon-to-be-appreciated XR springs! ;)

While I'm sure the description is perfectly clear, included is a trademarked template for this complicated tool genesis. (yeah...sometimes I just kill myself :) )

BTW..3-5mm is fine on the preload. To get that small you will have to lose one of the oem centering washers...the top one.

Attachments

• fork tool.jpg
    fork tool.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Oops! They're there. On the bottom. Just under too much mud! ;)

This for casual peruser (yes, I did make that word up). Specifics in your PM box!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I don't know how it could get any easier just using a 7/16th wrench. Compress spring slightly with hand and get wrench under nuts then let go of spring and wrench will stay there until you get top cap undone. Now the longer xr springs you will just have to use a little more muscle to compress them. Easy easy easy.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'you dont even need a tool..'

OK. If you don't need one, don't use one. ;)

It's a bit more handy when dealing with a 530+mm spring.......

Hey!! It's not nice to laugh at a guy's tool!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
CC:

I liked your fork tool idea so much that I came up my own adaptation. While looking for some hacksaw blades I noticed that a wood plane blade had the right sized slot (7/16") and was of the right general dimensions. I hacksawed the edge and mounting hole off and ended up with a 2" x 3 3/4" fork tool. Cost: $2.91 for the replacement blade and three bi-metal hacksaw blades ($2.40) and a little time on the bench grinder. The blade I used was a Buck Bros 2" plane iron part # PLS2 which I purchased from a local Home Depot. Hope this helps someone...

Best,
Greg

Top Bottom