cheska4

Apr 3, 2002
Hey, all,

I just picked up some 21# springs from Fredette and would like to get them in before the weekend. I'm looking through the skimpy "green" manual supplied with the 02 KDX, and the text translation is kind of iffy. Can anyone who has done their own fork please let me know what to expect once I pop the top nuts off the tubes? Will I be watching the spring and associated parts hit the ceiling? Would it be too much to ask someone to write the steps out, and whether or not I'll actually need the "spring holder" shown in the Kawi book? Or, should I spend the$35 my local dealer wants to charge me and buy the service manual. Any help would be appreciated.

dave

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
did it last week. takes about 45 minutes. here's the short version.
in this order. (see pm if you want torque specs)

support the bike on a stand.
loosen the top bolts on the fork holder.
take off the handlebar clamp bolts.
let the handlebar hang to the side.
loosen the top fork caps until they are completely free.
compress the front forks upward by putting things under the front wheel.
(the springs will magically appear.)
push down the springs and spacers and fit an open ended wrench under the nut to hold them in the compressed position.
put a 12mm (i think) wrench on the nut and loosen the top fork caps.
NOW don't let the wrench holding the compressed springs pop loose or they will hit the ceiling.
remove old spring / install new spring.
repeat the above in reverse order.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I find it much easier if you just go ahead and remove front wheel, loosen triple clamp bolts and the forks will slide right out. Once inside the forks a 7/16th open end wrench works great as the "special" tool. Its really an easy swap....you can do it!

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I found the shop manual very helpful. I also found it easier to remove the wheel and fork tubes, working on one at a time on the bench. You may want to put in new fork oil as well. All "special" tools can be easily made, with a little work ;).

Good luck....

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Definately change the fork oil while your in there and at least once a season after that. Alot of peope use mobil 1 atf.

Like the above posts said, changing the fork oil and springs is easier if you just remove the forks from the bike because when the spring is removed you need to turn the fork upside down and pump the oil out.

I made a fork spring holder by cutting a slit into a flat piece of metal, an adjustable wrench will work in a pinch.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I made a fork spring holder by cutting a slit into a flat piece of metal...

Amen!

A wrench works, but........

NOW don't let the wrench holding the compressed springs pop loose or they will hit the ceiling

Amen! Again.
That won't happen with the first 'tool'.

Using the stock preload spacer (Why would you do that? It's ridiculous!) you'll be sorry trying to put springs back in with the forks in the bike.

I find it much easier if you just go ahead and remove front wheel, loosen triple clamp bolts and the forks will slide right out

Amen! Summore! ;)

Give it a go. You'll love the new springs (preload 'em only to about 10mm or so..check them every few months to see if that changes (spring collapse) )

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
All good answers, but go ahead and spend the cash for the factory manual...guaranteed it'll save you at least the purchase price and many headaches.

Top Bottom