kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
So the deal is this: I had the shop where I bought the bike put in .42kg race tech springs. They cut the spacer down I am guessing because the new springs are longer than the stock .35kg springs. I told them I wanted 10mm of preload, so I believe they know enough to do that. I also asked them to put the oil level at 100mm (stock) for now thinking that I can add easier than take away. I don't own a piston rod puller tool which is why I did not bother doing the job myself, so I can't check to see if they did the oil level correctly. Anyway; I hear the spring slapping back and forth in the fork tube when I jiggle the fork around. I noticed that there is a little retainer clip like rig still attached to one end of the stock springs. What is that? It has little ears that hold it onto the spring. Should that be on my new springs? Which end, top or bottom? Race tech also included two washers that I guess can be used to add preload. Do I need these? Can they be placed on top of the spring? I do have a long tube that race tech gave me which can be cut down for the spacer. Is there a known length which I should cut that to in order to achieve the desired preload. I should have bought the piston rod puller from Fredette. Aughhh!! :bang:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The stock springer space length is 90mm. Race Tech springs should be very close to stock length. You don't need a damper rod puller tool, nor does Fredette sell one. His tool is to keep the cartridge still while removing/installing the base valve (or damper rod on 1986 - 1992 KDX200 forks). That isn't necessary when changing springs or checking the oil level. You're in luck! The CDave website's current (COUGH!!) tech tip is how to measure preload. Check it out and you should be good to go.

Good luck with it.

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
thanks. Jeff also emailed me and said that there is a difference in O.D. between stock and race tech springs, so that is why I am hearing the noise. I opened everything up and it looks good. Just got a little paranoid of strange noises. It all started with my 90' KTM 300.

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
So I looked everything over and all looks to be okay. I put everything back together, put the forks back in and put on the front wheel to give it try. It makes a squeaking sound as I move it through the travel.. It sounds like a cheap spring in a pogo-stick (literally!)
The shop had cut the stock spacer down from 3" to 2+1/2"
Any one know what is going on?
Thanks

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
How did you put the cap back on? Try holding the cap and turning the upper tube onto the cap. I do it this way based on others comments. Some say if you screw the cap onto the tube you can "wind up the fork spring" which causes some noise.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I looked through this quick, but I didn't see anyone answer your question on your "retainer clip like rig" on the bottom of the stock forks. I don't believe they show them in the parts breakdowns, but I reistalled mine on the new springs. My guess is they are to keep the open end of the spring from wearing on the cylinder.

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
Cool, thanks. I did find a post on another Forum I linked from Jeff Fredette's site. www.kdxrider.net It says to use the retainer and to screw the tube onto the cap not the cap onto the tube. I will give it a shot tonight and post my results. Thanks
Any good riding in PA? I have to get out of here and get some riding in where the snow is gone.

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
Just tried it. Put the retainer on the bottom of the spring, spacer guide, spacer, spacer guide, top cap and spun the fork while holding the cap in place. Still making the noise. (I believe) I am going to cut the tube Race Tech supplied down to 90mm (stock spacer length) and reinstall the stock springs to see if I am crazy. I am not going to be satisfied if it doesn't make the noise because I need the heavier springs.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
So...why didn't the OEM spring seats get re-used?

re: 'Should that be on my new springs?'

Yes. Absolutely. Maybe they used new ones...but if you're looking at the old ones, I doubt they used any at all.

IMO..ask them. Sorry to be cynical, but I'd NOT ask them, 'Did you use new spring seats?'. They would likely just say, 'Sure!'. Show them the old ones..ask, 'What are these?' If they did the job correctly, they will answer, 'Those are your old spring seats. We put in new ones because the clips sometimes fail when they are re-crimped to a new set of springs. You gotta have those installed, but it's better not to re-use the old ones!'

If they say, 'Huh? I dunno.', take your work someplace else..they are losers.

If they say, 'Oh..you don't need those!', take your work someplace else..they are losers.

Yep. Hold the cap, turn the tube.

Racetech's have a larger diameter? Hhhmmm...I'd bet against that.

Cutting the stock spacer from 3" to 2 1/2" won't give you 10mm preload...not if your springs are even close to OEM length (470mm or so).

Based on that alone (if your spring length is 470mm and you specified 10mm preload)...you guessed it!! Take your work someplace else...they are losers.

Good luck!

Re: I am not going to be satisfied if it doesn't make the noise...

Sounds like you're all set!! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom