Fork Stanchion/Shock Shaft Surface Finish.

svi

Dec 7, 2000
I have heard various arguments on which surface finish works best, some people recommend a highly polished surface as it reduces stiction and others recommend creating a cross hatch finish with a fine abrasive paper as this aides lubrication of the seals and bushes so reducing stiction. I've had really good results with the cross hatch method and it's really good for removing rock dings, has anybody tried a highly polished finish?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I guess a highly polished surface should mean a perfect surface but once u have a rock ding or two u cross hatch the surface to ensure its all smooth. But either way if u think its going to effect your riding go to Mc Donalds once a week instead of twice.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
My local tuner cross hatches stanchions. I did noticed my seals lasting alot longer with this method.

Erik

shed

Dec 9, 2001
I think burger king is better.
Seriously though I guess its a similar deal with bore honing, though Im not sure that oil molecules should be encouraged to stay on the fork legs. Has anyone ever tried ptfe lined seals/wipers to reduced stiction?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…