Forked over the Car money for a MX Bike!

Sep 23, 2006
Hey everyone
My names Francisco. im 19 years old
Jus picked up never raced unmolested 2002 YZ125
The 2nd original owner bought it for his daughter
(a little big for a girls beginner bike if you ask me)
Im upgrading from a 74' XL 175
Bike was 3000. comes with New Top end and Manual
Havent even ridden it yet
Paint wear on frame is very minimal
Lemme know what you think...
S6000670700.jpg

S6000676w4.jpg

Im contemplating lowering the suspension. As of now, im barely tippy toeing it
S60006853.jpg

WR 400f (My roomate Robs)
KTM 400 exc (My friend Allisons)

Sep 23, 2006
so today i finally went out and bought $500 worth of gear. bought a couple spark plugs, gas can and synthetic oil
we went up north for some trail riding in some serious rain
this was my first time on a 2stroke (im usually on 4 strokes)
Sadly, i wasnt used to keeping it constantly revved up. long story short. plug got fouled. we went back. switched the plug and went back out. i absolutely loved the bike tho.a little big. but no big deal

only a couple things i dont like. the shifter would be better if it was positioned lower. the throttle needed to be constantly at 3/4 turn. or else it would jerk and bog. i cant do very good wheelies yet. and im not very good at the whoops. Any advice?

THX

Sep 23, 2006
i decided to jus keep the suspension the way it is
Im starting to get a hang of things
today i had a rough time getting used to the front brake
does anyone use their front brake? and if so. how do they use it when flying into a corner?
i flew over the handlebars twice today. coming into a corner in 3rd gear pinned
i jus find it gets really squirrely when i tap the front brake in soft sand...

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
talnteddriver29 said:
....does anyone use their front brake?
No, never. The manufacturers just put it on there to jack up the cost of the bike. You don't need it.

talnteddriver29 said:
...and if so. how do they use it when flying into a corner?...
Generally speaking, they squeeze it with their fingers.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :laugh: But seriously, yes your front brake is extremely important. 70% or so of your braking is in the front so it's really used more than the rear. Like most things, practice is the key. Just take your time and work up slowly. You'll get to know the bike and how hard you can hit the hooks in different conditions.

Marc -

keithcr250r

Apr 18, 2007
you will learn to love your front brakes, if u have to stop quick that is what u need..get usta them coz they will throw you or make you wash out..nice bike pity its not red :P

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
the trick is to touch and lightly apply the back brakes a split second before you apply the front brake. attempt to do all your braking in as straight a line as possible otherwise you will wash out the front wheel, hit the ground hard with your shoulder/elbow/face and slide to a painful stop 25 feet away, much like i did last month :whoa:

now if only i could follow my own advice :bang:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
You can reposition the shifter to where you want it. Just be sure and remove the bolt all the way (don't just loosen it), then slide shifter completely off, slide back on where you want it. As far as the jerk and bog below 3/4 throttle and spark plug goes, you may still be jetted a little rich--they usually are from the factory, but who knows what has been done since your bike was new. You can smooth it out more to your liking, but a 125 will never be a tractor at super low speeds.

Sep 23, 2006
Fair enough
im just not used to the multi-tasking yet
its only my 2nd time on the bike. and ill tell ya its a lot harder to ride in the trails then my roomates wr400!
I guess the hard part for me is jus deciding what to do before the turn and during the apex
when i go into a soft sanded corner im not sure whether to engine brake. rear brake. front brake. or all of them in a smooth motion
i guess it takes practice and help from you guys!

**I found when i came into a corner. pull the clutch in and downshift 2 gears down, the engine DIES before i the clutch engages again*** is this normal?
my guess is i jus have to keep the revs up?

thx guys
srry for the newb questions. everyones gotta start somewhere

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
does the bike idle in neutral? if not you are probably 1) coasting around the bend with the clutch pulled and the bike is stalling due to lack of revs. 2)If it does idle in neutral, then perhaps your clutch is dragging slightly and again you are stalling due to lack of revs. so check your idle screw on the carb if its problem 1, otherwise check your clutch cable adjustment.

the main problem I still have is that when i come into a corner at speed i tend to get a bit flustered in the whole cut throttle/clutch/rearbrake/frontbrake process. I have been riding only two months but with concentrated practise i have noticed an improvement. :cool:

how do you get to carnage hall? practise , practise, practise! ;)

Sep 23, 2006
yes the bike does idle in neutral but not very good. its gotta be warmed up really well!

***Quick Questions***

1. Can i use AMSOIL lithium complex grease to lubricate my cocntrol cable, clutch pedal pivot, shift pedal pivot, throttle cable unit.

2. When washing the bike. Is covering the crankcase cover hole and water pump housing hole necessary?

3. AMSOIL Synthetic motor/tranny oil is really expensive. is it worth it? (I want to keep this bike in great condition. I might sell and upgrade to 250f)

***UPDATE***
My buddy came over and looked at the bike. He says theres too much air in the brake lines and the brakes need to be bled. The brake lever, when pressed, easily makes contact with my grip!

Apr 2, 2005
***UPDATE***
My buddy came over and looked at the bike. He says theres too much air in the brake lines and the brakes need to be bled. The brake lever, when pressed, easily makes contact with my grip![/QUOTE]

Not good,should be a 2 finger brake! (very responsive)
Get a FWW! that will smooth out the power and keep it running in the low rev's.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i didnt give up my car money to get a dirtbike. but i did give up a whole summer of work to race for my first time. yup i just started working about a month or two ago and i had to tell my boss im taking the summer off to dirtbike race, he wasnt so happy, dont know why :think: good thing i only work at a grocery store :laugh:

Top Bottom