Forks help please

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
My new project bike - KDX 200 1998.

The forks feel like I used a solid bar instead of a spring, realy hard!
I'm using 630 cc of 5w oill and std. springs.

They don't feel to bad untill I fill in the oill and then aaaaHH, where did the suspension go?

I keep on thinking it is something simple.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Mark

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
Did you check your manual on the oil amount? If there is too much oil it can have the affect you mentioned.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
I don't know a lot about forks, but you did bleed all the air out of
the top of the forks..

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Measure the oil level with an oil level gauge with the springs removed and the forks completely compressing as per the manual. If you don't have a gauge try a turkey baster or if worse comes to worse a measuring tape. Insure you've bled all the air from the cartridge first. You can find instructions to build a gauge on the JustKDX web page.

Where they this stiff before servicing them? Do you know what rate fork springs you've got.

David

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
Thanks David
The amount of oill is per manual.
I'm not sure what springs are in there, is there a way of telling?
The air was bled from the top bleed screw after pumping them a couple of times.
I worked on the amount of oill and not the height of the oil. I will try doing it wirth the height method.
What should the height be?, I would guess at approx. 150mm - about 5.9"
I'm not sure of what the forks felt like before as I bought the bike as scrap and this is the first time I have sat on it.

A three month rebuild - I've said this before, but..........never again.

Thank you
Mark.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
If the forks are on the bike ... Try loosening the front axle ... It may be twisted a bit and be in a bind.. If forks are off the bike .. Nevermind.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A common oil height is 100mm (4").

Only way to tell what spring is in there is to measure them. Involves either the correct tool, or compressing the spring against a scale while measuring the spring movement.

You might luck out and have the rate scribed on one end of the spring..or may even be written with a permanent marker or paint.

They'd have to be pretty darn stiff to feel like a solid bar.

Hey..here's something simple. What are the clickers set to? Maybe all the way in? Maybe some L-A-R-G-E type was trying to fudge a too weak spring by jacking up the compression damping??

Yep! I've decided!! That's it!! ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…