Forks..TOO much oil or too little...HELP!!!!

Runester

Jan 9, 2007
Hey all,
96 yz125 I removed the forks removed the top screws turned them upside down and squirted out all the oil that would come out cleaned the seals real good and put em back on the bike then put b in fresh oil a bit more oil than came out Id say about 250 ml or a half bottle in each fork of pj1 15 wt. fork oil now the forks just kinda stick at the bottom when I comress them not much rebound I they are real stiff either this is a new (to me)m bike and a seal was leaking when I bought it but just a little so I figured I could just clean it and it worked the seal doesnt leak any more but now my rebound is really low and ,again, the forks just kinda stick at the bottom then slowly return. Do I need more oil? I dont have a manual and what I did basically was replace the same amount that came out. What do I need to do to get my rebound back now? I have the clickers set to about 2/3 firm.
I feel like I need more oil...is it possible too much?
Thanks all!!!!!!
Runester

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That's not exactly the prefered method for fork work.

You need to find out what the proper level is on those forks. Then, set the level of the oil according the the factory specs.

It almost sounds like you compressed them and bled the air out. If so, don't do that.

There needs to be air in the forks. Open the bleeder and let the forks rebound. Then tighten the bleeder. See if that helps.

If that doesn't help, did you put them back together the right way? Did you put the springs back in? Are the springs broken?

There are quite a few different things that could be wrong with them.

I have no idea how much oil you should put in your forks, however, my CR125 takes about 500ml. More if the are cleaned out completely. I set the level at 90mm.

Runester

Jan 9, 2007
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I actually didnt dis assemble them at all I just squirted the oil out of the hole on top which I guess is the bleder because there isnt one on the bottom. So all I did was empty out the oil from the top and refill it beasically..
Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Runester said:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I actually didnt dis assemble them at all I just squirted the oil out of the hole on top which I guess is the bleder because there isnt one on the bottom. So all I did was empty out the oil from the top and refill it beasically..
Thanks

So you really just wasted all of that oil then?

Here's what you should do...

http://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20

Top Bottom