SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hey all,
I'm at university now (but my bike's 12 hours away :() and taking engineering. I've joined the Formula SAE project http://www.sae.org/students/formula.htm and am working on a few of the teams. One of the teams I'm part of is the Composites team, where we make all the parts that we can (make and afford to make) out of carbon fibre. I'm not sure if it was on this forum or not, but I remember a while back that someone made some of their parts out of carbon fibre. I need as much information on doing your own carbon fibre work as well as companies that do QUALITY work. Any information would be EXTREMELY helpful. Also, we're using a 2001 Yamaha R6 engine that we're going to convert to fuel injection. What are some good modifications for more power but aren't going to jeopardize reliability too much? Also, is it possible to turbo or supercharge this engine, so far we haven't found a way yet, but we're still wondering if it's possible. Thanks.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
Speedy, that's really cool! I am in a similar situation... got to college a month ago (freshman - and fortunately I have my bike in town but haven't ridden yet), doing engineering (EE) and our school also has a Formula project. It's pretty cool - I'm going to try to be on the electrical team (it's mainly a senior design project but they are letting underclassmen get involved this year).

I don't know much about carbon fiber work but I heard that one of the teams last year from another school had a complete bottom panel made of carbon fiber that rode just off the pavement for airflow advantages, and that the ground clearance was somehow independent of suspension travel.

Anyway, it's neat that someone else here is working on a Formula car - it should be lots of fun for both of us!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Did they do their own carbon fibre work or did they get some company to do it? Does anybody know of some reputable companies that do custom cf work? I also need to find out some more about doing your own carbon fibre work, so any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom