frostage

Mar 9, 2013
Evening everyone!

As the title implies I'm new to the dirt rider forums, however I have been a member on BCF (UK site as I live in the UK, dont know if anyone has heard of it.. BCF that is.. not the UK) for some time, and have been riding mainly road bikes for a few years now.

I currently own a GSXR-750 2000 for road riding, and as you might have guessed by my appearance on the forum I have recently acquired an MX bike as well.

I have just bought a 95 RM 250 in need of a lot of TLC (and by this I mean it looks like its been dragged through a very dirty hedge backwards twice a day as its cleaning regime), which I have already started cleaning up and readying for a bit of off-road mayhem.

I started a thread on BCF a few days ago to show people how the project is getting on to hopefully help anyone doing something similar, so I think I will copy it over here as well.

Anyway introductions over, I'll post up the project topic in the relevant section (which is? to save me guessing), and look forward to getting to know you all.

EDIT - I cannot post the project thread as there is too many images and

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
frostage said:
EDIT - I cannot post the project thread as there is too many images and tagging is not allowed, is this something a mod could grant me or do you have to be here a while for that :debil:[/QUOTE]

Welcome to DRN. You'll need to accumulate a few posts before the forum software will allow you to post links to pics. Join in a few discussions and you'll have your post count up in no time.

Enjoy! :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Welcome aboard! Good luck with the project, have fun with it! I just got done with a pretty big project myself, I really enjoyed it.....

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Very enjoyable read. Clear and to the point. Before and afters make the "dragged through a field" seem like an understatement......So the drought is over in the UK? Friends in Ireland said it rained all last summer as if it were winter. I am headed that way in June. Last year London was sunny and around 20 in March. Do you have more pictures of the bike project coming? Where do you ride?

frostage

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks fatcat, yes it was pretty beaten up and looked like it hadn't had the slightest bit of maintenance since it was born!

I wouldn't say that, we're yet to see any real nice days (by nice I mean sun + warm) its always either cold or wet! Everyone's hoping for a better summer this year as the last one was a total wash out. I think you should be OK in June, its usually one of our best months for weather but as I said last year it just rained June & July!

Yes the project thread will be updated every time I do more work on the bike. Did a bit more today actually and discovered the piston rings are out of spec, £32 for 2 new rings or £50 for a new piston & rings.. hmm! So new piston is on the way and there will be more pictures of refitting the cylinder/head/new piston and (hopefully!) a video of starting it.

Then I plan to start making the bike look a bit more presentable as the plastics are battered and the exhaust is a heap.

I live in Torquay in Devon - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/plac...694153&spn=0.000218,0.000343&t=h&z=12&vpsrc=0

Mainly been riding road bikes but have just recently got the urge to go off-road as well, so I'm keeping the gixxer and getting the RM prepared to get dirty!

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Looks like a great part of the island....is the area around you wooded and rideable? I don't suppose you can ride in the national park, eh? Yes, the rain last summer was what I heard from the girls in Northern Ireland. Every day. The whole US was drier, drought dry and hot last year. I think Europe took our rain. We will gladly have it back!
My daughter and I will be covering a lot of ground, as we added in Frankfurt Germany, and our hosts in Derry (northern Ireland) believe us to be staying a week! And we have to be in Birmingham....London will have to be rushed through this year. Lol. Far as I know so long as we can stand in front of Baker's St and see where Sherlock fell to his demise at the end of Season 2, the rest of London is insignificant. We had a couple young men from the UK on the boards here a few years back....It actually has been at least four since I've stepped in myself. Lured back by mxchick and the WMX. Check her out, she is a tireless supporter and organizer for woman racers in the US. Glad to see you getting on the dirt. Hoping to get back on the dirt myself this summer....Might have to bubble rap me as well as the normal protective gear! I can barely walk, let alone ride! Looking forward to more photos and descriptions of your work. Always appreciate clear writing and photos to match. Regard FC

frostage

Mar 9, 2013
When it's sunny/warm it's a lovely place to live! Perfect place for off-roading as well really, plenty of lanes and wooded areas, though the police are a lot more strict on bikes over here than they are in the US I believe. Ah you say you would have it back but try living with 18 months of cold and wet and then tell me which side of the pond you would rather be on!

Sounds like you've got a nice trip planned there! I haven't heard of her but I'll check her out, always good to see someone promoting a dying (well suffocating at least) sport, especially when women are sometimes not given the recognition they deserve in the sport it's good to see some of the men being brought back down to earth by the females!

You should definitely get back out there as soon as you can, or before you know it it will just be a memory!

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
not sure about the police being less strict over, but I will tell you where they are REALLY unstrict: Costa Rica. San Jose is a madhouse of 2strokes and mopeds and scooters that weave in and out of crazy traffic. You seriously have to drive your car with the idea that they know whether they will make the squeeze because if you do anything to accomodate you would kill someone. I didn't see any big road bikes until a Sunday when apparently there was some sort of organized ride taking place. So the big road bikes are there, just not in the city. Saw very few what we used to call crotch rockets, which we have a lot of. Just 2strokes all over the place with knobbies still on, I want to say. At least the way they were driven they felt like they should be on. I will say this though, every biker in San Jose had on a helmet and a bright yellow vest. If you are going to drive like a madman at least be visible.
Looks like you found the good part of the UK!
MXChick can be found in the women's forum.
We'll return your thread back to bike building, but welcome!

Top Bottom