BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
Was out riding yesterday.The bike ran great.Then I let it sit for about an hour,while I took a break.After I restarted it,I went about 50 feet and she backfired,sputtered and quit.Put in a new plug and everything was back to normal.What happened?
One thought I had was that I left the petcock on while it was sitting.Could this be possible?

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Just leaving the valve open shoudln't flood it unless your float is screwed up.

perhaps it was just time :) If you keep fouling then ya need to rejet. Has your weather or conditions changed recently ?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I agree with you both.

It is possible the float-jet has a slight leak which doesn’t manifest itself all the time but eventually the extra fuel that isn’t drained off the overflow (slightly blocked?) could trickle into the crankcase & when you start it is thrown at the plug. Once fouled plugs often don’t recover.

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
The weather has changed a bit here.High 70's/low 80's with low humidity.I did remember that I let a friend ride it just before I parked it.He is kinda slow.Could be,it wasn't cleaned out enough before stopping.Right now my jetting is 140 main,42 pilot,clip 2nd from top,a/s 1 turn out.Stock pipe and silencer and air box lid removed. I was thinking about going to a 40 pilot.Also, changing my mixture to 50:1,instead of 64:1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom