crrider3

Jul 17, 2008
Hey whats up! i have a 2002 honda cr250r with a fmf gnarly pipe and fmf shorty exhaust. i also have a renthal sprocket. I have been riding the bike through trails and fields where there are a few dirt jumps. My problem is i am fouling spark plugs all the time. I let it warm up before i even click it into gear. then im easy on it until im sure its warmed up. I really ride the bike but i dont beat on it or anything. But when i get done riding for the day i park it and the next day it wont start...until i put a new spark plug in...then it fires right up. I was running honda hp2 oil (a quart for every 4 gallons as recomended), but now im running the same oil and amount of oil mixed into 5 gallons. can anyone tell me whats going on and how to fix this problem. thanks for your time!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Riding it easy is the wrong thing to do if you are fouling plugs! Ride it hard! Get the engine temperature up so that the oil burns off the plug.

On the other hand, if you want to adjust the bike to match your riding style you may need to adjust the jetting and switch to a "hotter" plug. But then be careful if you take it out on a hot day and ride it really hard.

Rod

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'll bet its the Renthal sprocket causing this. Or maybe the "quart" for every four gallons.
Hmmm, I wonder if someone tried to rejet it after putting on the FMF. Buy some brass and learn to jet. You're problem will probably disappear. And don't put a quart of oil in for every four gallons. A pint should do it.

Frankie S.

Sep 11, 2008
That might explain why he's fouling plugs, if in fact he's using a qt to four gallons.

Or maybe he meant a pint (16 oz) to four gallons, which would be alright if that's what he's running. Though that makes the ratio 32:1 .

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I was being flippant. As Foxforks pointed out, he probably IS using a pint, not a quart, but even if he were using 16:1, he shouldn't be fouling plugs and the problem is not the mix. Remember, 16:1 is actually leaner than 32:1 as far as gas/air mixture goes.

Top Bottom