Found a 3rd ring on my 01 220R

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Took the top end apart tonight to change out the rings and found a suprise.

Under the lower piston ring, I found a thin wafer like ring. In all my years of dirtbike riding/overhauling I have never seen or heard of such a thing.( Not that 'that' means anything......)
It appears as if it would apply more outward force on that ring to assist in sealing..???

The manual makes no mention of such a beast. Then again my manual is for a 200 not a 220..
buykawasaki.com does show it for the 220...

Two Questions..

1. What's it for??
2. Does it belong under the 2nd ring
or under the 1st ring.?

Thanks

Joe

Last edited:

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
It is a ring expander and is more of a problem than good. These ring expanders have been used since the early 70's and have caused lots of stuck rings.

When replacing pistons and rings, we use to take them out of the box and throw them away (never using them)

They gum up and that turns into carbon...... I would not recommend using them.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
BTW, 'under' means 'underneath'..not 'under' as in below from a top-to-bottom direction.

That's clear as mud, huh?

OK..it's not like an oil control ring rail (one above and one below) on a 4-stroke engine. It's a crimpy looking thing that exerts pressure on the second ring.

Just in case anyone wondered......;)

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
BTW, 'under' means 'underneath'..not 'under' as in below from a top-to-bottom direction.

That's clear as mud, huh?

OK..it's not like an oil control ring rail (one above and one below) on a 4-stroke engine. It's a crimpy looking thing that exerts pressure on the second ring.

Just in case anyone wondered......;)

Exactly CC...underneath(behind if you will) and not under as in below..That's correct.
Soooo,,,should I be using this ,,,,,,or should I not??

Why does the 220 use this extra expander ring whilst the 200 does not??

Buc

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Follow shr's rec. He's seen more 2-smoke top-ends than you and I together will in our lifetimes.

I always took 'em out in my decades of riding r5's and rd's. They certainly do get stuck.

As to the 200/220 question.....I don't know. Maybe it's the 'ring packaging' of the day?

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Understood....Thanks

Buc

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's a 'stretchy' piece of thin metal...looks like it's had a recent permanent (as in hair) or crimp job. 'Stretchy' meaning not that it actually stretches of course, but its diameter isn't particularly an issue cuz it's springy.

You could take the ends and easily pull it relatively straight.

As noted, they are common. Also as noted, commonly tossed.

Top Bottom