Found a KDX, need some quick oppinions...

robl

Feb 24, 2004
Hi all,

I've read in a couple of threads so far about people paying quite a bit lower prices for bikes than I'm seeing here. In the "Stock KDX?" thread, the guy payed $1550 for an 01 200. It was missing the kickstand. Found another one in the "Kdx Pic" thread that went for something like $1100 (IIRC). It was a 99 220.

Here's the one I found: 1997 KDX200 for $1800. All stock except for bars, a pipe, and it's missing the headlight (has number plate instead). However, it's suposedly very nice and had limited use. The add stated it's on it's original tires still. $1800 seems high, so I was thinking of offering more around $1500.

What do you guys think about the price? I'll be looking at it this week.

Just for reference, here's some others also listed:

97 KDX200 - $2000 - looks like the standard mods
00 KDX200 - $2200 - also the standard mods
01 KDX200 - $2700 - stock

Do these prices just seem a tad high?

Thanks for your oppinions!

Have a great day,

Rob

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
Since there are no changes in the bikes over those years, I'd go with the cleanest bike with the least amount of use. You can find an '01/'02 that's been ridden every day and never had a top end, or you can find an older one with little use or a fresh motor. I've got a '97 that I'm hoping to get around $1600 for if that helps. Not trying to hijack.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
The prices are right on if they are in good shape. I would go as new as possible with the year. The 01
sounds a little on the high said since you can get a new one for 4000, but it might have been barely used and would be a steal at that price. Your KDX should be in the 1600 - 2200 price range anything lower is probably beaten on.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
I just found a KDX220 locally in Denver, 1998, for 2100. Sounds high, but the first owner rode it a few times, broke his collarbone, let it sit for a few years, and sold it. The second owner wanted a putt-putt for trail riding with his son who rides a KDX200 rather quickly. He put Avon Gripsters on it and what he really wanted was a KLR - so very, very few hours total, and near mint. FYI

robl

Feb 24, 2004
Well, I picked it up Friday. I wound up getting it for $1500. Pretty nice bike, doesn't appear to have had much use and is overall very clean. Runs really well seems to be very strong. But, it was dropped a couple of times, so the plastic is a bit scratched up in a couple of places, and the FMF pipe has a pretty good dent in it. So, I'll be searching for places to repair the pipe hopefully.

What I didn't notice until I got home was the damaged radiator on the left side. It still functions fine and doesn't leak, it was just a bummer to find after I got it. I sure wish I noticed it before. I could have gotten him down a bit more.

Anyway, overall a very solid bike for $1500. Mechanically it's very sound and clean. Quite a bit more power than my 91 for some reason which can wheelie very easily in 1st and 2nd gear, and needs a little help after that. This newer one wants to come up on just a throtle twist through 4th gear! I was very supprised. Didn't try it faster than that. Test road it on pavement, so plenty of traction. It's going to be fun. Now I've I guess I've got a 91 I have to try and sell. I hate buying and selling stuff.

Rob

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
$1500 is a good price. I have a '96 that's been ridden a lot but also cared for a lot and was hoping to get around $1200. However, the more I think about it, for that price, I'll probably just keep it forever...I know the bike inside and out, and that's worth $1000 right there!

Watch you-know-where for radiators- I've seen a bunch of them show up pretty cheap.

94kdx200

Sep 16, 2005
Personaly i would buy the stock bike. I would want to put new parts on myself. It all really depends on how much time and money you will have to put into the bike.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
What we just bought.

I found a 2002 KDX 220 in CycleTrader for $2500. I called the guy and it was about a 2.5 hour drive to see/get it. The guy came down to $2200 on the phone. When we got there, I looked it over and YES it had been ridden. If I had seen more pics, I probably wouldn't have even gone. Anyway, it was complete, had a few extras: pipe, silencer, bars, guards, skid, and new Michelin tires. It needed sprockets in the worst way. Anyway, the guy said it had ALL the bearings replaced... So, while I had the bike on the stand that I brought with me, I found the rear wheel bearings to be shot, but couldn't get any play in the shock link. I was nursing a hurt back so I didn't "get on it" and wanted to believe the guy was telling the truth. When we got it home, I found the lower shock bearing to be shot, and none of the bearings replaced... at least from what I could tell. Supposedly, it has a new top end - it does have good compression and runs well.

So far our list of replacements have been/will be: all the bearings in/for the shock link, swing arm bearings (not shot yet, but they will be replaced), rear wheel bearings, and some plastic and graphics for looks. Bottom line: We paid $2050 for the bike. Not too bad, but I think I would have rather paid more and gotten a bike with less ride time on it.

Top Bottom