Found Cause of:Y09 CRF450R sputtering 1x/lap under hard acceleration

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I posted several weeks ago an issue with my new crf sputtering after hard acceleration; felt like was running out of gass. I researched and found that this is a common problem with the new crf fuel pump filter getting clogged. Honda even has a service bulliten on it for the machanics. Instead of buying a fuel pump, honda now has the fuel pump filter rebuild kit for $35 it includes filter, and the 3 orings you will need. Note the filter is the size of a tea bag in the shape of a heart.

But what was interesting was the cause of my filter clogging. It turns out that my Gas Tank Foam that I use to prevent gas sloshing is breaking down. The filter was deep black(the color of my foam) and there was black particals all over the fuel pump. I put the new filter in and took out my Gas Tank Foam. So be ware if you use the gas tank foam take it out.
I emailed the vendor and they never emailed me back.

A typically dirty fuel pump filter should be a dark brown color.
I took over 2 wks to get the rebuild kit.

Bike runs great again. I did not notice any power increase or easier starting; but atleast it runs reliably again.

Spokes572
California

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Huh.. I was wondering how long it would take to hear of a case of that tank foam breaking down in the gas..

I wonder how much longer that company will be around. Not long I suspect.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I did purchase the Gas Tank Stain filter screen ~$34 from the CRFstuff website
And I got the part number off of another Forum for the entire kit (3 gaskets and 1 tea bag heart shape fuel filter). It was quite easy process.
I will assume now that I have the gas filter screen and the slosh foam removed from my tank I should not have an issue anymore!

Spokes572
Pleasanton, CA

Tdoorn199

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 7, 2010
i was thinking about buying gas tank foam and was wondering what brand you bought and how long it took to break down.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Spokes574 said:
I did purchase the Gas Tank Stain filter screen ~$34 from the CRFstuff website...

CRFSTUFF is a fine organization. I ordered the same part from the manufacturer at PROFILL-AUSTRALIA. Cost was $27 including shiping anywhere in the world. Ordered one last week for the FI Honda.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom