motorhead434

May 28, 2003
Anyone have advice on best setup for glasses wearers?I'm gonna take my helmet and goggles to pick a set out,but was wondering if those pro-vue lenses would be the hot ticket?I've always worn smith smx because I run a little hot and they dont fog up as easy in the woods,but I'm thinkin with glasses I'll probably still fog!How about smith turbo's?Do they hold up in the trees???found out I'm nearsighted and cant wait to be able to see arrows/lines in the woods!!!THANKS

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
If you do a search on my user name here and on Thumpertalk.com you'll find several discussions about glasses/contacts/Pro-vue.

I've worn glasses under my goggles, had Pro-vue lenses and the best solution for me is to wear contacts with GOOD well sealed goggles. The problem with glasses and the Pro-vue lenses is that in dusty conditions you now have 4 surfaces that get dusty - the pro-vue's are a pain to clean. Contacts give me the best depth perception and periphereal (sp?) vision. Funny thing is that I can't wear contacts under my street helmet (shoei RF200 - I know it's a cheap POS) because it doesn't seal out wind as good as my goggles and my contacts dry out.

Next step for me is LASIK.

Brian

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
I found out that my vision was going bad about 7 years ago. I had a brand new KTM 250EXC and I kept hitting the bark busters on the trees in the middle of the bark busters.
I went to the trusty doc and she said I have an astimatism (sp?). In other words, my depth perception was going out. I tried to ride with glasses under goggles with no sucess. I could not keep the inside dry enough without water forming on the back of the glasses. I tried the goofy "work" safety glasses and they made my eyes water to the point of not being able to see.
So I then chucked the glasses and I don't want to try contacts.

I went to gold (yellow) lenses on my goggles. It turns out that I can see in bright sunlight. However when I am in the shade or under florecent (sp?) lights my vision goes to you-know-what.
I would suggest you try the gold lense no matter what. It has allowed me to ride without glasses for 7 years.
Also don't wear your glasses the morning of a ride. It makes your eyes used to the correction and they don't try to "see" without help. The worst thing is to read with glasses and then take them off and try to go riding.

Just my opinion......
RAD DAD

RVL

Mar 3, 2000
I have been riding with glasses for 34 years. I have used Oakley L-Frame goggles for many years. They are comfy with good ventilation.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by larosche
...and I don't want to try contacts.

Just curious why not? Switching to contacts was on the best things I did - I play volleyball, ride, snow ski, etc etc with contacts. My basketball game saw the most improvement:)

I have an astigmatism and have been wearing Cooper Toric lenses since '97 w/o any problems. I had a lense come out 2-3 times due to dryness or irritation.

Brian

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Didn't your Mother tell you "you'll go blind if you don't stop doing that". See she was right. I have the same problem. I've been just wearing my glasses. I have 2 pair, 1 for daily wear and 1 for riding. Never used googles but, have been thinking about the Scott OTGs. I didn't listen to my Mother either ;)
Looks like quite a few didn't listen to MOM :confused:

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i can't wear contacts anymore, can't see w/o glasses, so i use the team m.o. prescription insert (bifocals, no less!) insert under scott otg's. works great.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
Brian,
I have seen my wife, kids and too many riders in pain from dust under the contact. Or maybe I am just a wimp and don't want to put anything in my eyes.............

RAD DAD

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
Originally posted by larosche
Brian,
I have seen my wife, kids and too many riders in pain from dust under the contact. Or maybe I am just a wimp and don't want to put anything in my eyes.............

RAD DAD

Hey ED whats your excuse for hitting trees now.LOL

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
i have tried all three types. contacts win by about a 10000000 percent margin. no peripheral vision with glasses, fogging, etc. created more problems. for about two years i could not put in the contacts and had to ask a girl to do it for me. then one day i just popped them in and have been happy for twenty years. i take them out at night and never use them for more than two weeks. i also agree that the yellow or gold lens is great. it is all i use now.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
I hit trees now because "I am too tired to turn the bike", or was it "I ride on row zero and the pine straw is always slick", how about "I never rode a dirt bike around trees until I went to college".........

Take your choice.......

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Another vote here for contacts and goggles. My doc understands motorsports and takes that into consideration when sizing my lenses. Also, Oakley O Frame goggles seem to work best for me.

Dan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Prior to Lasix, I was very near sighted and wore contacts for daily living.  However, I had lots of trouble with contacts for riding, and much prefrerred to wear glasses under goggles.

For me, my contacts would always dry out and get uncomfortable, no matter how often I stopped to put in wetting solution.  I guess their was something about the wind and dust, plus I think I would not blink often enough when riding.

I used a large frame Smith goggle over shatter proof lens glasses, with a Qwik Strap on the goggle.  In wet weather, you are very prone to fogging with glasses under goggles, so have a 'wet weather' pair of goggle in which you tear the foam out to improve air circulation.  Glasses that fit the lens far away from from your face are better than ones that are very close to your face.  The Qwik Strap is a must when you start to fog up.

In dry weather, put baby oil on your goggle foam to catch dust. 

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
Yes,pro-vue still holdin out for input-durability seems suspect to me in the illinois woods(tree branches).There again maybe if I could see where I'm goin-wouldnt be hittin all that underbrush.Already wear smith smx,(LARGE frame) orange, (gold lite?)lens VENTED DUAL PAYNE no less- I did say I sweat a little-BUT vent's are 90% covered by roll-off's(GOTTA HAVE-EM) Cant stand to have anything in my eyes so leery of contacts.I guess I'll go with smith smx TURBO's (ones with fan/batterypack) and glasses.THANKS ALOT for all your input/2 cents!!!!

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Dad and I both use Pro-Grips. They fit over our glasses fine, but we both have smaller framed pairs of glasses. The goggles never fog, but sometimes the glasses will. I think that's because they get up too close to your face and get hot. When they do fog, a quick flip of the goggles away from the face for a few seconds clears it right up. Maybe these folks with the quick-strap are on to something...

Top Bottom