JohnsoK

Apr 23, 2005
i was just wondering if anybody knows how to put a four stroke motor in a kx65. i have a dead motor and i want to turn the bike into a pitbike. do you think a klx110 motor would fit in a 65 frame? thanks.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
MAJOR project to get a 110 engine in a 65 chassis.

Grafting the suspension,wheels and brakes from the 65 onto a KLX 110 would be a better idea.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Why would anyone want to replace that gem of a motor with lawn-mower engine? The KLX motor started life as a quad motor. Yuck!

I just wouldn't be worth the hassle. In fact, I'd guess it would be cheaper (and easier) to rebuild the KX moter than try to rig-up a KLX motor in a KX frame.

JohnsoK

Apr 23, 2005
thanks guys. i'm just flippin' a booger here but does anyone know what mods i can toss in a crf 70? the reason for not going for the 110 right away is because a friend is going to hook us up with a honda connection and get us a 70 for about $500. if there are some mods, i could toss a little more into it than paying full price on a klx. thanks again for the help. :)

dumbduck242

Aug 25, 2005
or maybe the suspension on the 65 would fit on a 70. i have one and if i knew it would fit id put it on myself. i found some cheap suspension for a 65. anyone know?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
This whole 'adult on a 4 stroke mini and spend a million to make the 4 stroke mini slightly slower than a stock 2 stroke mini'--thing has got me bustin' my balls laughing. I have no idea why someone would want to drop a groggy thumper motor with a 400 pound flywheel into a modern 2 stroke bike frame, except (as above) to use it as a pit bike with a great suspension. I've got a KLX110, and can tell you that it only shines when you're on pavement, or at LEAST hard pack. Get on sand, and you can't even get off it and walk it along wide open. No exaggeration, either. Huge cast crankcase, low slung center of gravity and tires that look like they came off a KLR650....I'm just a little miffed because I always loved the bike until last weekend. I'm teaching a dialysis nurse how to ride. Took her down to the river area, which included segments of sand trails and a sand bed....to say it was a bit of a workout to keep it a) upright and b) going straight, is an understatement. Won't be doing that again. The TTR125LE that I was teaching her on is a bit better, no doubt because of frame geometry/size of the bike by comparison....still just a pit bike. A great one, and not bad in technical stuff, but given a choice between my 500 and it for a day of riding under any conditions....criminy.

The TTR is also very good for giving little ones rides up front (helmets and pads, of course) around the yard, or putting through a lazy neighborhood. I just would like someone to explain why you'd take a 110 thumper, put huge dollars into it to make it relatively fast, and take it to a mini motard or mx track for an adult race when you could take a stock 65, add no dollars, have twice as much fun and be faster. What the hell is going on around here? :think:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Nephron said:
I just would like someone to explain why you'd take a 110 thumper, put huge dollars into it to make it relatively fast, and take it to a mini motard or mx track for an adult race when you could take a stock 65, add no dollars, have twice as much fun and be faster. What the hell is going on around here?

KX65 + adult (on back fender so he can shift and steer) + throttle blip + twitchy high-strung mini 2-stroke powerband = adult on ass

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Neph - For some of us it's just the fun of seeing if it can be done without spending a ton of cash. ;)

B

biglou

Why? Simple: Because we freaking CAN. All you "What I think is best for everyone" armchair types need to get over yourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
:laugh:

CTurbo

Oct 30, 2001
The fun factor of a KLX 110 is way over any motocrosser I know if you outside a motocross track. If you are playing, only a playbike will do it. :ride:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Lou--you're only 300 or so miles from me. I'll bring my modded 500 up there, and I bet you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. It's that good, and I think a lot of people forget how good they can be when they're set up right (modded motor/suspension/the right tires/Magura clutch). That's all I'm saying. I'm certainly impressed with the 450F's and 250F's. AND I have 2 of the bikes I was just bagging up---and love them for what they are. Maybe you guys need to show me how to build one of these things, because I don't see how it can be done. I would have broken the frame of the 110 in half if that fishtank crankcase hadn't prevented it. ;)

Pred, my first really good ass scrape was off the back of a KX60 that had nothing and then everything. That motor's totally different than the 65.

Top Bottom