Jan 13, 2000
I heard that some tire company makes tires especially for 4stroke applications. It guess they are a stiffer compound for the torquier bikes. But i wonder do they lose traction becuase of this. Either way i need to see about gettin one. Anybody know of what Im talkin about and who makes em?
-Nic

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Dunlop 739 I believe. Yes, the side wall is supposed to be stiffer. I have no idea why/how a tire could be made for a specific motor.

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
the front 739 however just *sucks* in sand or other soft or loamy terrain. forget about using it in the mud. you'll wash out the front and be on your face with ease on anything that isn't hardpack. to put it another way, as long as you don't have to turn, the front 739 is a fine tire. the 739's came std (front and back) on my '01 wr250f and the front will be replaced soon with a 755 or 756, which are much better suited for soft stuff. the rear 739 isn't bad though.

the wrooster

vern#19

Apr 23, 2000
F specific?

Why ? Do the harmonic vibrations of the combution cycle cause the knobs to fall off ? Is it the wieght ? 230 pounds? I that too heavy? HOW ABOUT MXA MARKETING Strategy :cool:

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Marketing BS, just get a good tire to suite your terrain. I put Mich. S-12's front & rear on my 501 Husaberg and they have held up VERY well. After three months of moderate riding, one trip to the Rockies and about 200 miles of street the front is fine and the rear is starting to round off the leading edge of the center knobs. The rear still hooks up nice, especially in the mud & sand. The best tires I've ever owned hands down.:)

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
correct

JB426 is correct that i am aware, the Dunlop 739G is the 4stroke tire, why? i dont know, but would guess the composite holds up to the torgue better.Personally, I am wearing the crap out of my 739 rear that was standard on the 250F, but I cant tell if it is the tire because this is my 1st 4stroke, however my buddy is orig owner of a 99 400f, he is on third rear dunlop 739 rear, and we ride them down. this last one is already wearing fast. Our opinions of the dunlop rears are that they wear too fast, but we have to try another brand to make a fair comparison... We ran into a kid at the track, he said his dunlops on his 2stroke were garbage, he is running a cheaper tire called I.R.C., it has a steeper center tread and he says it wears alot better and is about $40.
We're gonna give them a try next, if they wear the same, then you save money in the long run, if they last longer, awesome.

Thumping_AB

May 23, 2001
I've been riding a lot of sharp rocky terrain lately and i found that the stock tire that came on my 00 yz426 lost all its knobbies in under 2 months (when I say lost I mean they were all ripped off not worn.) So I picked up one of the Dunlop 739's and while its wearing great (4+ months with only slight rounding on the knobs) it doesn't hook up very well at all . I'm at a tossup now but I suspect I'll be going back to the track style tire soon and coughing up the $100 every couple months just because it hooks up sooo much better.
As for the tires themselves, the 4-stroke tire has larger knobs in height and length, less space between the knobs, and the rubber is significantly harder.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
yeah no roost

it seems the same, with the 739 now. my knos are definately rounding, and I had some good oportunities to lay some thick roost this weekend on this poor sap and all the roost stay downward, it doesnt seem to hook up as well.

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
That is a common problem with the Yamaha Four Strokes. They tend to eat tires quickly because of the tend to spin the tire quite easily and the amount of torque they produce. That is just a inherient trait of the bikes.

The 739 series is pretty crappy for anything other than hard pack as many have said and why Yamaha still puts them on the bikes amazes me. LOL The 739G model is made with a hard compound and slightly different fiber wounds that adds in stiffness of the sidewalls for the thumpers. This allows the tire to not roll its sidewalls causing undue pressure on the knobs.

Scott is correct in just buy a tire that is suited for your terrian. With the tires that arent directional you can flip them around to get the sharper side of the knobs back to the ground. After that just take a heated razor blade and sharpen the edges again.

I run the 755/756 here in the midwest where we have dirt/rocks/sand terrians. They hook up great.

Jan 13, 2000
well ive always run 752s or 7562 on the rear of my KDX. So and they hooked up great in the neverending amounts of sugar sand that is Florida. So i guess ill conitnue using them, I just figured going to a fourstroke maybe there was something better?
-Nic

Top Bottom