Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
I fractured the scaphoid bone in my left wrist and just got the cast off a week ago, but it still hurts when I bend it right back or down, it also doesn't move as far as the other wrist, will this movement come back in time, and should i be doing streaching excercises?
Thanks

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Talk to your doctor, he's the expert and should be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

That said, I broke my left wrist in 3 places just before Thanksgiving. Cast came off in January same symptoms that you are talking about. My doc said to get a sponge ball and squeeze it to get the strength back. I did that for several weeks and gradually moved into very light weights. I dealt with all the condescending looks at the gym as I moved up from lifting the bare bar to more normal weights. Pulling in the clutch lever is good physical therapy too, after you regain some strength:cool: . I have regained full range of motion in my wrist, but it's still not 100% strength wise. If I had it to do over (god forbid) I would have gotten a physical therapist the first day out of the cast.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
wrist injuries never seem to go away. even if I stay off the bike and do some exercises it still will have pain. my advice is to ice after riding if you have to ride like me. Use maybe a EVS wrist brace, this is a good piece of equipment and with my injury I have gone through two already. it is better with the left wrist because it keeps the back of you hand stable.

you should check this out.
:cool: :cool: :think

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I broke my right scaphoid (aka navicular) and it definitely took time to heal. You're lucky, yours is healed and now you just have to rehab it. After I got my cast off, it was two months until I rode, but I had a slow rehab b/c I was in a cast for 4+ months. I did stretching exercises every day to strengthen it and get more range of motion. I would assume you're in physical therapy, so maybe you can ask them about it.

My wrist is 100% back to normal, but it took over a year until I got the full range of motion. Don't let this discourage you. I rode with an EVS brace for over a year, and it worked great. I'm sure on your left wrist you wouldn't even notice it. Definitely go for the EVS!

Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
Thanks for all the info. I was released from the hospital and was told just to do some excercises myself, the pain has reduced a bit, but i still don't have the full range of motion.:think

kcjames

Mar 22, 2000
I came up short on a double, not even a very big one, on my YZ426. I dislocated three bones in the top of my right hand, broke one side of my wrist and crushed the other into small pieces....all on my handle bar before I even hit the ground!!

$10K and almost a year later I can say my wrist is almost fully recovered. Doesn't quite have the range of motion it used to, even with the physical therapy, but it's really close. And now it can tell me how the weather is....pain means it's getting cold outside. Anyhow, do the exercises and it'll probably recover just fine. Good luck!

P.S. What happened to the bike? Bent handle bar :D

Last edited:

Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
The bike??? it came out from the accident better than i did !?!, all that broke was the front fender, nothing else, quite good considering we hit a WALL:eek:, but i am selling it cause i broke some toes and fractured my cheek bone in a few places :ugg: , but hopefully i will be healed soon and buy a better one at the end on the season:) .

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
Chevalier

i broke my left scaphoid last feb
i saw my orthopaedic surgeon 2 days later,,, he said he would leave it in the cast for 12 weeks and see how it went.partly due to his work load.
i mentioned that i would be happy to pay for private treatment,, the following morning i was admited for surgery (the power of the $ £ huh )

i had an open reduction of the scaphiod with a herbert screw
basically the drill thro the bone and whack a big screw in it
6 weeks later the wrist was usable with a full range of motion

the danger with a scaphiod fracture is it is has very poor blood supple,and only from one direction. which means that healing can often be slow or uncomplete. speak to ur ortho about the use of a herbert screw and its suitability.

and good luck with the re-hab
resulting in poor range of motion.
Scaphoid fractures have ended alot of riding careers

Top Bottom