Frame Guards and Bash Plates

fraud5

Aug 26, 2003
I recently got a KDX200 01MDL. The bike is immaculate and has been well looked after. Can you tell me if it worth spending money on things like frame guards and bash plates to protect the bike when riding on trails? If so what brands do you recommend for KDX's?

Also I have noticed some pipe protectors are available but haven't found any for a KDX. Is there a manufacturer who makes them for KDX's? If so would they fit a Pro Circuit pipe?

----------------------
A KDXer down-under.

RIRider

Sep 16, 1999
I think it is a must to have a 'Skid Plate', 'Hand Guards' and 'Pipe Guard'. The 'Frame Guards' will save the paint on your frame, I use slit rubber tubing with zip ties. Also, radiators are expensive so a Radiator Guard/Brace is a must.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...don't waste you money on that stuff...the bike already has waterpump guard built in....get a fmf gnarly pipe, pretty dent proof....

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
Get a skid plate and disc guard, I used black dishwasher hose and black zip ties to make frame guards,they actually look very good.Aluminun handguard are aplus also.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
If you plan on keeping the bike very long at all, and you want it to last. invest in a skid plate, hand guards, and radiator guards or braces. The cost up front will be MUCH less than the cost of one trip the ER due to a broken hand, or the cost of a new radiator of case. Well worth the investment in the long run.

I use all Works Connection parts. Good quality and a good price.

fraud5

Aug 26, 2003
I've checked out works connection. They have quite a range for KDX's. They also have a supplier here in Australia.

Thanks for your help, I think I'll look at a skid plate first. Can anyone tell me if there are any companies that make Pipe protectors for KDX's? I haven't been able to find any but I have noticed an Australian company that makes Pipe Protectors with a skid plate incorporated into the design (unfortunately they don't make them for a KDX).

Their site is http://www.whipps.com.au/home.htm something like this would be ideal. What do you think?

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
I've used the Maier Universal Pipe Guard for years. $35 around here. Comes in "gold" steel or aluminum. Any decent dealer should be able to order it. Regardless of type of pipe, once you start to see the gouges and dings taken by the guard, you'll be glad. Pipes are pretty pricey these days. You shape it to the pipe, a few hose clamps, and your pipe survives a lot of abuse. Anyone who rides w/o one in the woods will be able to SHOW you!!!!

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A SKID PLATE, MAKE YOUR OWN. I USED PUCK BOARD(WHITE STUFF FROM HOCKEY RINKS) AND MADE MY OWN. ITS ON ITS THIRD SEASON AND WEATHER VERY WELL.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by outrgus
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A SKID PLATE, MAKE YOUR OWN. I USED PUCK BOARD(WHITE STUFF FROM HOCKEY RINKS) AND MADE MY OWN. ITS ON ITS THIRD SEASON AND WEATHER VERY WELL.

Only a canuck could think of using puck board :) I've got devol plates. I like the look.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Hey fraud5 in Australia, Fredette Racing Products offers a pipe guard on their web site. www.frpoffroad.com.

Just go to the "KDXposed" section, click on the CATALOG hyperlink (embedded in the text section), and click on the FRP hyperlink. You should see a pipe guard there, if my memory hasn't suffered from my multiple falls this past weekend! :thumb:

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Protect your baby!!! Skid plates are a must if you ride in the east, baja designes makes one of the thickest, although you might have to trim the left side for your shifting foot. FMF Gnarly pipes WILL DENT (fairly easily) and I can provide multiple personal testamonies to this fact. Get a pipe guard, I'm kicking myself for thinking that I didn't need one for my Gnarly. I'm doing the same after trying to save a few bucks by skipping the frame guards when I bought my new KDX, you'll thank yourself later. Also, a sharkfin is a wise investment; about the same price or less than a rotor, it can pay for itself. Radiator braces and aftermarket guards can spare you a sum equal to a full set of new gear (with boots, w/o helmet). Finally, handguards can prevent broken levers/perches, broken digits, broken egos, and (the worst of all) DNFs.

Just hopeing that you wouln't have to learn from some of the mistakes that I have made during my first few youthfull 'indestructable' racing years.

Best of luck!
-Nick

Top Bottom