brandname

Dec 7, 2008
Hi,

so recently i decided to spray over the top of my powder coated frame to tart it up a bit and everything was going fine untill i added the laquer. This has obviously created some kind of reaction because it has changed color :(

So my question is

Does anyone know what the best method is to sort out my frame. I have phoned up about sand blasting but was told that because of the nature of the powder coat, sand blasting could pull of chunks of aluminium.
He suggested acid to remove it but at a cost of about £60-£100.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

thx in advance. :bang:

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
you can try aircraft paint stripper. you can find it at auto parts stores, and comes in a blue spray can. this stuff is awesome, and will strip off about anything

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
The only way that I know of to remove powdercoat is to sand blast it. Most powdercoated frames are steal or chrome molly. Aluminum frames are usually just clear anodized.

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
sharky243 said:
The only way that I know of to remove powdercoat is to sand blast it. Most powdercoated frames are steal or chrome molly. Aluminum frames are usually just clear anodized.

Sand blasting is what i was going to do, untill i phoned someone up about it and they said it can remove chunks of aluminium. Im assuming its an aluminium frame, Its an 01 rm 250.

Basicaly i primed over the top of the yellow powder coat and then sprayed it a nice silver but then when i put on the clear laquer it then turned grey, Much like the color of the primer.

This is why i have decided to take it back to the bare metal but i never realised removing powder coating would be so difficult.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ummm no the only aluminum frame in Y01 was Honda. You should be fine getting it abrasive blasted, I'd suggest a place with a little knowledge on lighter material and not the place that thinks powder coating pulls chunks of aluminum with it. The subframe is aluminum but that just unbolts from the main.

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
why try to even take the powder coating off? just remove the spray paint you put on with a paint stripper, then respray it. it sounds to me like it was your paint and clear coat that reacted, not so much the powdercoating underneath

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
jdager said:
why try to even take the powder coating off? just remove the spray paint you put on with a paint stripper, then respray it. it sounds to me like it was your paint and clear coat that reacted, not so much the powdercoating underneath

I second that emotion.

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
i ended up just keeping it the color it turned out, doesnt look too bad (gun metal grey), I would post a picture of how it looks so far. I have just fitted the swing arm and front sus but the file size for photos is pretty limited here :(

Im just hoping that the laquer is up to the job of stopping the spray paint getting scratched and revealing the yellow powder coat underneath :yikes:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Post the photos to a picture hosting site then link to it if you need a larger format for your pics.

Laquer is no where near as durable as enamel, expect to see your yellow powder coating in short order.

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
Patman said:
Post the photos to a picture hosting site then link to it if you need a larger format for your pics.

Laquer is no where near as durable as enamel, expect to see your yellow powder coating in short order.

yeah i thought that might be the case, Anybody got any ideas how to keep the new coat on? Is it going to have to be a case of laquering it to death?

These photos are off my phone, hopefully one day i will take one thats in focus :bang:

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you have it that far apart still just take it all the way down, get it stripped and then recoat it however you choose (paint, bedliner, powder coat...)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Aircraft stripper will remove the powder (If you follow the directions exactly), as will media blasting (I don't recall what media I used). This is not a fun task though; long, tedious, and messy.

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
Patman said:
If you have it that far apart still just take it all the way down, get it stripped and then recoat it however you choose (paint, bedliner, powder coat...)

The pictures you see are me begining to rebuild it, I had the swing arm off to change all the linkage/swingarm bearings and thought i would tidy up the frame aswell.

I would just like to get something done with it because its got to the stage now where winter is over and i need back out on my bike. :pissed:

I might try that aircrat stripper, Was really wanting to have it back together by the weekend though :ugg:

Top Bottom