Frame Preference: Steel vs. Aluminum

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
Out of curiousity, how do the aluminum framed models ('00 and up CR and '05 YZ) compare to the steel frames (RM, KX, KTM, older CR and YZ)? Everything I've read seems to indicate that them being lighter is a nice thing. Just wondering, are they as reliable and snap-resistant as the steel frames, or do they tend to break easier under motocross conditions.

-Cheers

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Do you have examples of either (steel or alum) "snapping"? I've heard of some triple clamps breaking and some possible hairline fractures on frames (both), but never one actually breaking.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I think the freestylers provide pretty good evidence of the durability of an aluminum frame. Alot of these guys are hucking huge on aluminum-framed CRs, but you don't hear alot about frames breaking. When was the last time someone DNFd a National or SX from a broken frame?

FWIW, I've had great luck with an aluminum-framed CR 250 and two CRF 450s since 2000. I'm over 200 lbs and I've over-jumped or come up short on just about every type of jump you could immagine without any frame problems.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
my friend has an '01 CR 250 and has not broken his frame let alone cracked it and he's a big boy!! ever seen a 300lb guy do MX!!! It's not like a frame won't break it can and does happen .It doesn't matter what it's made of high ten steel, cro-mo, alum they will all break.

Top Bottom